Category: Civil Rights

The Overdevelopment of Clairemont Mesa and Kearny Mesa

 Source  August 19, 2026  7 Comments on The Overdevelopment of Clairemont Mesa and Kearny Mesa

By Robert Welsh

Here is a quote from the City’s Clairemont Community Plan, dated 1989: “In summary, Clairemont Mesa is an urbanized community and for the most part is built out.” It must be said, that Clairemont has not gotten less “built out” in the 37 years since then.

Recently I was in a discussion about excessive apartment building development in Clairemont Mesa, noting 8 locations where significant developments had been completed, were under construction or were planned. I decided to visit each location in person, to get a first-hand view, and these are my observations.

I was both surprised and shocked with what I found.

I was surprised to find that 2 of the notorious cul-de-sac ADU builds (12 units @ Shoshoni, and 17 units @ Almayo) did not look as awful from the front as they did while under construction. You might easily drive by them without noticing the depth of their development, from front-to-back. Of course, you wouldn’t be driving past them because they are both in cul-de-sacs, and the parking problems are obvious and extreme. There simply is no parking for these locations.

I was shocked to see how many smaller (4-8 unit) ADUs existed or were under construction around Clairemont ! Unless you drive around and look, you will not fathom the incredible amount of construction that has been or is being undertaken.

My focus here will be on the large builds.

Continue Reading The Overdevelopment of Clairemont Mesa and Kearny Mesa

County Supes Vote to Bar ICE and CBP From Using County Ranges for Firearms Training

 Source  August 19, 2026  0 Comments on County Supes Vote to Bar ICE and CBP From Using County Ranges for Firearms Training

By Angelo Haynes

The San Diego County Board of Supervisors convened a meeting at the County Administration Center to discuss ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and CBP (Customs and Border Protection) use of county property and facilities for firearms training. A period of public comment was held on Agenda discussion item #24, which drew 57 public comments with 38
being in person. Many giving public comment in attendance represented groups from all over Riverside and San Diego counties, in some cases, working in coalition.

This issue of training of ICE and CBP officers at county facilities was brought about by a recommendation from County Supervisors Terra Lawson-Remer (District 3) and Pro-Tem
Paloma Aguirre (District 1). This was in response to the growing number of violent encounters in communities being targeted by ICE and CBP raids. The discussion was for whether or not the county should continue allowing ICE and CPB use of our facilities for training.

Groups represented in the meetings proceedings included: Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ), San Diego Legal Aid Society, San Diego Immigrants Rights Consortium (SDIRC), Southern Border Communities Coalition (SBCC) and CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations). Many of the comments were in support of the Aguirre’s and Lawson-Remer’s proposal.

Continue Reading County Supes Vote to Bar ICE and CBP From Using County Ranges for Firearms Training

Richard Bailey Wants to Cut Cops, Fire Fighters and Other Critical San Diego City Workers

 Source  August 19, 2026  3 Comments on Richard Bailey Wants to Cut Cops, Fire Fighters and Other Critical San Diego City Workers

Bailey says the city should ‘return to 2015 staffing levels’ by cutting 1,054 employees and the services they provide.

By Michael Zucchet Voice of San Diego

City Council candidate Richard Bailey continues to promise budget fantasyland to San Diegans.  He says the answer to San Diego’s persistent budget shortfalls includes no new fees, no increased taxes, and no service cuts whatsoever – in fact he claims that somehow service levels will magically improve – if we simply “return to 2015 staffing levels” in the city of San Diego.

Bailey moved to San Diego last year, changed his political party affiliation this February, and within days announced that he was running for City Council.  Since then, and again last week in an interview with NBC’s “Politically Speaking,” he has repeatedly claimed that if we just “return to 2015 staffing levels,” the city’s general fund budget will swing from what he says is a $100 million annual deficit to more than a $300 million surplus with “no need to cut any services.”

Continue Reading Richard Bailey Wants to Cut Cops, Fire Fighters and Other Critical San Diego City Workers

ACLU Launches Petition for San Diego City Hall to ‘Get the Flock Out’ and Cancel License Plate Reader Contracts

 Source  August 18, 2026  2 Comments on ACLU Launches Petition for San Diego City Hall to ‘Get the Flock Out’ and Cancel License Plate Reader Contracts

From ACLU

The ACLU of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLU-SDIC) has launched a petition calling on the San Diego City Council and Mayor Todd Gloria to “Get the Flock Out” and cancel all of San Diego’s Automated License Plate Reader (ALPR) contracts, including those with Flock Safety, the company that owns and operates the city’s ALPR system.

The City of San Diego is currently using taxpayer funds for the San Diego Police Department’s ALPR system, an invasive, around-the-clock mass surveillance technology that collects a massive trove of location and identifying data captured from vehicle and personal information that reveals intimate details of a person’s life. This information demonstrates travel patterns of individuals as they go to work, drop their children off at school, or attend a house of worship, doctor’s office or protest.

Continue Reading ACLU Launches Petition for San Diego City Hall to ‘Get the Flock Out’ and Cancel License Plate Reader Contracts

City Hall Is Still Failing Balboa Park. It’s Time for a Change.

 Source  August 17, 2026  1 Comment on City Hall Is Still Failing Balboa Park. It’s Time for a Change.

By Kate Callen / San Diego Union-Tribune Commentary / August 16, 2026

The city’s decision to restore free parking in Balboa Park has silenced public demands for a change in park governance. The sense of urgency has abated. But the reality of park mismanagement hasn’t.

City Hall still has total control over park administration. It can keep shirking its responsibility to perform adequate maintenance. And it can always seek new ways to tap the park for cash.

Right now, the issue of park governance is in a holding pattern. It has been placed on the docket of the 2026-2028 Balboa Park Master Plan Update. This periodic assessment identifies park priorities, like capital projects and infrastructure upkeep, that the city isn’t likely to have the money to support.

The original 1989 Master Plan Update was highly aspirational. Some of its recommendations, like park tram service, were adopted. Others, like a pedestrian bridge between Golden Hill and Inspiration Point, were not.

Continue Reading City Hall Is Still Failing Balboa Park. It’s Time for a Change.

San Diego shouldn’t need a political fight to keep bathrooms open

 Source  August 17, 2026  4 Comments on San Diego shouldn’t need a political fight to keep bathrooms open

by Raul Campillo / Times of San Diego / Aug. 15, 2026

From the moment Mayor Todd Gloria proposed closing public restrooms at Mission Bay Park as part of this year’s budget cuts, I opposed the idea. San Diego faced a difficult budget year. I ultimately voted for the city’s balanced budget, but I made clear during the budget process, twice, that I did not support closing Mission Bay restrooms.

Cities have to get the basics right: clean streets, safe neighborhoods, smooth roads and parks people can actually use — which means open public restrooms. A restroom is not a luxury in a public park. For families with young children, seniors, people with disabilities, pregnant women, workers and tourists, access to a restroom can determine whether they comfortably and safely use that park at all.

Mission Bay receives an estimated 15 million visitors each year. Closing 13 out of its 28 public restrooms was a dramatic service reduction at a beloved public space and one of our economy’s most important tourist attractions.

That is why, on July 15, I sent Gloria a memorandum identifying $1.8 million that had been recently freed up. I proposed using less than a third to reopen and maintain the Mission Bay restrooms.

On July 24, the mayor rejected my proposal. He emphasized that the $1.8 million consisted of one-time resources and argued that the city lacked sufficient ongoing funding to sustain existing service levels.

Continue Reading San Diego shouldn’t need a political fight to keep bathrooms open

Award-Winning Girls’ Softball Coach at Point Loma High and His Entire Coaching Staff Fired Abruptly

 Source  August 14, 2026  17 Comments on Award-Winning Girls’ Softball Coach at Point Loma High and His Entire Coaching Staff Fired Abruptly

By JW August / Special to the OB Rag

Billy Hunyady, a popular girls softball coach for nine years at Point Loma High School, has been fired by the school’s Associate Principal. Not only was Hunyady fired, but the entire girls’ softball coaching staff of nine individuals were abruptly fired on July 29.

A veteran coach with 28 years experience, Hunyady calls it an unjustified termination.  More concerning to him, though, he says, is the potential for gossip and speculation in the community and among his players and their families wondering about why he was fired on at the end of July. He worries that some may believe he was fired for “horrible actions, such as a secret relationship with a player or stealing money or abusing any of the athletes in any kind of way,” Hunyady told the OB Rag.

Unfortunately those kinds of actions are not entirely uncommon, but that isn’t why Associate Principal Monika Montiel Turner fired him and the others, says Hunyady.

Hunyady said Turner told him he was let go because there was “too much chaos going on” surrounding the girls softball program, involving players and fans.

Although there were some warning signs, the firing still came as a devastating surprise to the Hunyady. Recognized as the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) coach of the year in 2025, Hunyady is a graduate of Point Loma High, class of 1981, having played on the same baseball team as the school’s famous sports alumnus, pitcher David Wells, of New York Yankees fame.  “I was excited to be coaching  teams from my school, ” Hunyady said.

Junior varsity head coach Chris Ghio, who was a longtime friend of Hunyady, having graduated the same year from Point Loma High as Hunyady, said that when his friend told him the entire coaching staff of nine individuals was fired, “I thought he was joking. They had seen many administrations come and go, and “we have always been treated with respect and appreciation.”

Ghio said he thinks the entire community should be put on notice that they were “disrespected and discarded” by the current administration.

Neither the high school principal, Michael Santos, nor Turner have responded to numerous requests to tell us their side of the story.

Continue Reading Award-Winning Girls’ Softball Coach at Point Loma High and His Entire Coaching Staff Fired Abruptly

Latest ICE-Capades in San Diego

 Staff  August 14, 2026  1 Comment on Latest ICE-Capades in San Diego

By Michael Angelo

On day one of the second Trump administration, a flurry of executive orders were signed reshaping immigration enforcement in the country by declaring a national emergency at the southern border, redirecting military funds for border enforcement, and restricting asylum access to anyone engaged in a so-called invasion of the United States.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) was also directed to immediately and aggressively escalate operations and surge arrests by establishing high daily quotas which management would be held accountable for missing (increasing the likelihood of non-criminal arrests).

Just shy of 600 days later, we can see the direct and harrowing results of these actions. A recent ACLU research report titled Agents of Chaos and Cruelty documents the widespread violation of civil rights being committed by ICE agents during the second Trump administration’s first year. Across eight states, the report found more than 400 of the over 1,200 ICE incidents examined involved misconduct by agents. The report also emphasizes no one was off limits, and found dozens of instances of agents detaining U.S. citizens, asylumsees, and people with disabilities.

Agents were also reported to have “targeted, used force and intimidation against, and arrested” legal/ community observers, protesters, journalists, elected officials and their staff, and even members of the clergy. This cruelty has resulted in the killing of at least seven people during enforcement operations including 23 year-old Colombian immigrant and father Johan Sebastian Duran Guerrero, whose car was allegedly rammed by agents before he was fatally shot through the windshield a little over a month ago, and 37 year-old intensive care nurse Alex Pretti, who was shot multiple times and killed by ICE agents back in January.

At the end of May, the Rag published an article titled ICE Capades in San Diego, compiling actions taken by ICE in recent months to explore how the agency has been conducting itself in America’s Finest City. Here is an update on recent events and articles involving ICE in San Diego:

Chaotic scene unfolds around Federal Agents in City Heights

Continue Reading Latest ICE-Capades in San Diego

BREAKING NEWS: Mayor Gloria Finds Money to Re-Open Mission Bay Restrooms by End of the Week

 Source  August 12, 2026  19 Comments on BREAKING NEWS: Mayor Gloria Finds Money to Re-Open Mission Bay Restrooms by End of the Week

Mayor Todd Gloria and other city leaders Wednesday announced the bathrooms at Mission Bay Park that were closed in early July due to budget constraints will reopen at the end of this week.

Gloria said 13 restrooms at one of the city’s most popular destinations will be back open starting Friday. He told the media that money from a state grant award and allocations from council office budgets is helping reopen the bathrooms.

The bathrooms will stay open until the end of the year, according to the mayor.

Continue Reading BREAKING NEWS: Mayor Gloria Finds Money to Re-Open Mission Bay Restrooms by End of the Week

City Wants ‘Public Input’ on Establishment’s Mid-City Communities Plan Update: 30K More Homes, 89K More Residents Over 30 Years

 Source  August 12, 2026  2 Comments on City Wants ‘Public Input’ on Establishment’s Mid-City Communities Plan Update: 30K More Homes, 89K More Residents Over 30 Years

Editordude: Here’s a rather bland report from KPBS — full of bias — about how the city of San Diego wants the public’s input on the establishment’s new blueprint for the Mid-City communities plans updates. The draft calls for 30,000 more homes and 89,000 more residents over 30 years (see CBS8 report at end). There’s no mention of how activists from these Mid-City neighborhoods have resisted and opposed these updates over the last couple of years, or how the Planning Commission rode roughshod over their attempts to get the city planners to listen to their deep seated concerns. 

City News Service – KPBS / August 11, 2026

San Diegans are being asked to provide input on an update to the Mid-City Communities Plan draft released Monday, which would create capacity for an additional 30,000 homes over the next 30 years.

The update — the first of its scale for the area in 25 years — took two years to shape, featuring engagement with more than 3,000 city residents participating in more than 100 events and resulting in more than 9,300 comments.

Mid-City includes the neighborhoods of City Heights, Eastern Area, Kensington-Talmadge and Normal Heights.

Continue Reading City Wants ‘Public Input’ on Establishment’s Mid-City Communities Plan Update: 30K More Homes, 89K More Residents Over 30 Years

Blocked From Inspecting Otay Mesa Detention Center, County Officials Release Report on Its Conditions – Citing TB Illnesses and Neglect

 Source  August 12, 2026  1 Comment on Blocked From Inspecting Otay Mesa Detention Center, County Officials Release Report on Its Conditions – Citing TB Illnesses and Neglect

City News Service – Times of San Diego / August 11, 2026

Following an attempt to inspect the Otay Mesa Detention Center in February, the county released a public report Monday detailing conditions in the facility.

The conditions during the inspection were generally within recommended state standards for detention facilities, areas of concern in the findings included an individual who was not provided a needed medical device 18 months after admission, as well as not having any vaccines in stock, the report reads.

Another major area of concern was lack of responsiveness with County Public Health to coordinate tuberculosis-related cases. Two tuberculosis cases “were not reported from the facility’s medical staff but were instead discovered through a facility vendor that provides medical testing services.”

The facility was unresponsive for several weeks before the facility finally cooperated with the communicable disease investigation.

“Tuberculosis requires immediate reporting and a coordinated response to identify exposed individuals, initiate appropriate treatment, and prevent further transmission,” said County Public Health Officer Dr. Sayone Thihalolipavan.

Continue Reading Blocked From Inspecting Otay Mesa Detention Center, County Officials Release Report on Its Conditions – Citing TB Illnesses and Neglect