Editor: In a comment to an earlier post about the OB Rag’s crossroads, Kathleen Blavatt – a longtime OB and Point Loma activist – submitted the following plea for the establishment of an OB historical green zone. Kathleen is a stalwart with the OB Historical Society.
By Kathleen Blavatt
For about a year I have been throwing out the idea of an Ocean Beach Historical Green Zone (District) going in OB.
It could help Ocean Beach and its institutions financially, promote the good green things happening, show the green history of the area (over 100 years). The resources are already in place. It should be the people that have grown this part of OB into this special place getting together and doing this.
This could help the OB Rag, the Green Store and businesses on the north end of town. The OB RAG is the natural for choice for promoting this idea. The Woman’s Club with there stage and space would be a great starting place for walking and biking tours with green restaurant sampling, events with music/art along the way at the Green Store, Peoples, Jim Bells’, etc. Also include natural and historical sites: Native Park, Tern Nesting, Community Garden, etc.
North Ocean Beach, including the Voltaire Street corridor, is historically the oldest ongoing section of San Diego “Green” businesses, organizations and community spaces. It began in the early 1900’s in Ocean to today where it includes many green establishments, parks and nature preserves.
Collier Park Land Donation
First dedicated to the “children of Ocean Beach” by the turn-of-the-century developer, D.C. Collier Park Land. The land, a large rectangle spanning over the current Nimitz Blvd. was donated in 1909 to San Diego. The entire parcel was divided up in later years. Some parts remains park, a community garden, natural park, open space and ball fields.
Ocean Beach Women’s Club established in 1925
The club planted many of the early trees and shrubs along Ocean Beach streets and currently has a Community Garden outside the clubhouse.