Sign the Petition to Stop Nightly Fireworks at SeaWorld

by on July 10, 2015 · 50 comments

in Culture, Environment, History, Media, Ocean Beach, Organizing, Politics, San Diego

Seaworld Pet vs firewords picHit the link and sign the Petition that calls on the San Diego City Council to ban the nightly fireworks at SeaWorld.

From Petition:

SeaWorld is damaging the quality of life of hundreds of thousands of San Diegans on a nightly basis,every day for 3 months straight during the summer season alone. They are damaging the overall physical well-being of the citizens of San Diego who live within a 20 mile radius or larger.

The fireworks at SeaWorld constitute animal cruelty. Dogs, cats, and other companion animals don’t understand that the terrifying loud bangs are a celebration. Humane societies across North America report that after firework displays they are swamped with calls about lost dogs and cats.  Dogs are brought to shelters with paws bloody from running or torn skin from tearing through a backyard wooden fence or, worse, crippled from being hit by a car.

The need to protect both companion animals and nondomesticated animals from fireworks harm is exemplified in the numerous stories of animal suffering that we are left with after the smoke has cleared.

Dogs have responded to firework explosions by breaking through windows and screens, often running miles away from their homes, only to end up exhausted, bloody and confused or dead on the road

Exposure to hazardous noise is one of the most common causes of irreversible hearing loss.  Symptoms of noise-induced hearing loss tend to be subtle in the earlier stages. Hearing loss tends to occur first for high-pitch sounds. As a result, the bass or “volume” of speech appears unchanged, but the clarity of speech decreases. The ability to communicate in the presence of background noise becomes increasingly difficult and can cause anxiety, stress and fatigue for the individual trying to understand speech.

Prolonged exposure to sounds exceeding 80 decibels (dB) can result in permanent hearing loss. The louder the noise, the less time an individual can be exposed before permanent damage will occur. Noise-induced hearing loss is preventable. Fireworks pose a significant and immediate risk to your family’s hearing health.

We are asking San Diego city council to ban the fireworks at SeaWorld and ask them to and switch to laser light shows, which provide all the awe of fireworks displays and are kinder to animals and the environment and show a courteous and decent neighborly behavior to the people of San Diego.

Fireworks are being blamed for the recent deaths of 5,000 birds in Arkansas. The professional-grade explosives scared red-winged blackbirds and European starlings out of their nests and sent them into panicked flight. The night-blind birds crashed into houses, signs, and other obstacles, causing blunt-force trauma and death.

What are the ravages of the fireworks locally? Has this been studied?   What is happening to the animals, birds, fish and birds of the San Diego River and our bayfront!?

And now the park is using a different vendor this year, using a higher degree of firepower and they are louder and more dangerous to animals, your childrens and pet’s ears and to your family’s’ emotional well being!

1. Fireworks have been proven to be harmful to pets and wildlife.

The use of explosive fireworks near animals is considered cruel and inhumane as it causes stress and fear. Animals who are too close to explosions often suffer from burns and eye damage, among others.

2. Animal ears are very much more sensitive than the human ear.

Firework explosions can permanently damage their sense of hearing. Many animals are terrified of these noises so they try to break free, jump off fences to escape the terror.

3. Animals that flee from fireworks often get lost or killed.

Cats and dogs are prone to being hit by vehicles and birds are prone to fly into buildings and end-up breaking their necks.

4. Animals get injured.

There are dogs and other domesticated animals that are brought to shelters with paws and some body parts that are bloody from running or torn skin from tearing through a backyard wooden fence or, worse, crippled from being hit by a car.

5. Birds often fly away in fright.

And nesting mothers sometimes tend to get lost trying to return to their nests. Waterfowls such as herons, ducks, pelicans, and other sea birds become entangled in fragments of fireworks that land in ponds and waterways.

6. Fishes, sea turtles, and other marine animals ingest the firework debris and die.

And also cause the deaths of the scavenging animals that eat them.

7. Even insects are at risk.

Insects like bees and butterflies can become disoriented, injured, and killed.

Write to the city of San Diego City Council

I urge you to consider the harmful effects of fireworks on companion animals and on the wellbeing of the residents within a 2o mile radius

The fireworks that are scheduled every single evening at SeaWorld during the summer, 90 days in a row and every weekend during the off season have severe mental and physical effects on both wildlife and on pets and on some children.

Fireworks are NOT friendly to the community at large.

  • Firework explosions can produce a blind panic in animals that can lead to serious injuries, deep-rooted and debilitating fears or even death;
  • Using fireworks near animals is both cruel and inhumane as explosive fireworks cause animals immense confusion, anxiety, fear, and stress; and
  • The ears of most animals are considerably more sensitive than the human ear and fireworks can permanently affect their acute sense of hearing.
  • Fireworks and animals do not make a humane match. In this age of technology, we can create celebratory displays that are both thrilling and joyful without endangering our dogs and cats.
  • A humane and 21st century solution is to replace the fireworks with a laser light show instead. This concept would be unique and attract even more patrons. It would be more conducive for the animals, the environment and the neighbors, who are taxpayers and voters as well.

Sign the Petition to Ban Nightly Fireworks at SeaWorld.

Hat tip to Alana Coons for creating the petition.

{ 50 comments… read them below or add one }

Val July 10, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Thank you! These bastards do ore harm than good.

Reply

Jim July 10, 2015 at 5:23 pm

I like the fireworks!

Seriously, they could hand out free icecream to go with the free fireworks show and still some people would complain.

We’re on departure end of the San Diego airport and right next to Sea World; of course there’s going to be some noise. I could see someone complaining if Sea World just started the fireworks and never had them before. However, they’ve had the fireworks for years now.

If you want utter silence, go live out in BFE somewhere. I enjoy the restaurants, nightlife, easy access to the airport, and yes the entertainment options from Sea World, Legoland, the Zoo, and the rest of Balboa park.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 13, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Obviously, you are not an animal lover. I’ve had three dogs in sucessive generations that were terrified of the fireworks. The first one tried to chew through our front door in panic. The second one ran and hid in the closet with her eyes wide open. A new dog I have now is also terrified. He barks at every explosion. He is so scared of the Seaworld fireworks that he comes looking for me in the minutes before they begin and I have to sit with him until it is over. He now gets worried when it gets dark because he knows that is when they will begin. No amount of human enjoyment is worth putting any animal through this. It’s nice to hear you enjoy all of this personally, how about thinking of others, even those with four legs, before chiming in.

Reply

Jim July 13, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Geoff,

I appreciate that your dogs are uncomfortable around the sound of the fireworks. My wife had a border collie that didn’t care for thunder and would go out of her way to attack (not run from, but attack) the “vacuum monster”.

However, we now have two dogs and a cat. None of our four legged friends are bothered in the least by the fireworks.

Perhaps it is a question of breed, temperament, and training. A dog needn’t be as deaf as a dalmatian to be calm around the occasional report of a firework or firearm. Countless generations of birddogs are at their happiest when they’re out in a wetlands doing the job that they’ve been breed and trained to do: pointing out and retrieving waterfowl and other wild game.

It’s important to note that Sea World has offered its fireworks shows since 1968. Lindbergh Field has had regularly scheduled (and loud) flights departing throughout the day since the 1930’s. If you truly bought your home before all of this noise started back before WWII, then you might have a leg (or four) to stand upon. If your realtor, Thomas Brothers, Mapquest, Google Maps, and Bing hid the presence of Sea World and the San Diego Airport from you, then you might want to take your noise complaint up with them. As for me and my dogs, we enjoy the fireworks.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 14, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Jim,
You wrote: “However, we now have two dogs and a cat. None of our four legged friends are bothered in the least by the fireworks.” So, since the animals you now have don’t seem to have a problem with fireworks, you have no concern for the many other animals that do? Where is your empathy? You have three animals so you must like animals, but maybe just your own I guess.

You wrote: “Perhaps it is a question of breed, temperament, and training.” One of my dogs was part German shepherd and part Pekinese, one was a pure bred dachshund, and my current one is half lab, half treeing Walker coon hound. The breed does not matter. The two who have passed away had great temperaments as does my current terrified dog. If you know dogs, training is not the answer to every problem. There is no way to predict which animal will be affected so adversely by the noise.

As for your final paragraph. I bought my home in 1987. I knew the airport was there. I’ve put up with Sea World for years but it wasn’t nearly as loud as it is now. I worked up at LAX for all of 2012 and 2013. When I came back in 2014, I was amazed by how much louder the display was than before. If you read some articles from 2014, you will see this is the case. The big booms are much louder than ever before. Sea World changed vendors and moved the display from Fiesta Island to the park, closer to my home.

And, regarding your condescending comment “If your realtor, Thomas Brothers, Mapquest, Google Maps, and Bing hid the presence of Sea World and the San Diego Airport from you, then you might want to take your noise complaint up with them.” A realtor would not have to reveal anything about Sea World, the flight path, yes, but not Sea World. Of the four other entities, Thomas Brothers, Mapquest, Google Maps, and Bing, three did not exist in 1987, only Thomas Brothers existed. And how could Thomas have “hidden” anything from anyone?

You finished with: “As for me and my dogs, we enjoy the fireworks.” Perhaps you can explain how your dogs manifest their enjoyment of the fireworks? You can’t, you’re speaking for your dogs. I can speak for mine. He is terrified by those booms. He shakes. He barks inconsolably. He runs for home if we are out. So your dogs are fine and that is all you care about. Amazing.

Reply

melanie May 24, 2016 at 2:29 pm

What about people who set off fireworks around the neighborhood? What about those who use them before and after 4th of july? Why are you being selfish?

Reply

Miss Christine July 10, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Thank you! Why should random business be allowed to make so much damn noise every single evening in the summer? We have a dog rescue in North Park- and every evening at 8:50 the ridiculous noise begins and the dogs start barking .They are frightened and it’s annoying to know it’s all for nothing. Imagine the dolphins and other animals who live on the grounds! We are miles away. I would be surprised if the city would allow any business I might own to disturb literally thousands with my obnoxious, LOUD racket every evening in the summer….

Reply

Jdjd July 11, 2015 at 10:42 am

This is the most ridiculous article I have ever read. Keep the fireworks!

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 13, 2015 at 4:08 pm

The most ridiculous comment I have ever read. Did you pay any attention to the effect of these explosions on the animals?

Reply

Sarasmiles July 12, 2015 at 11:32 am

Thank you, I am absolutely disgusted with SeaWorld; if fireworks terrify dogs and cats as they do, why should we believe seals and dolphins (and orcas, and sea otters, and walruses, and birds, etc) aren’t equally terrified, if not MORE terrified by them, given their close proximity? Give me a break, SeaWorld! You are full of it if you think you can convince anyone with a brain cell that every single animal in your “collection” (as you kindly refer to them) is fine with nightly booming, exploding, horrifying blasts. That is even more torture for your poor animals that are already in hell as it is. How is that company still in business? How can SeaWorld even get away with this additional appalling display of animal torture?! If no one will insist the company shuts down, at least make them stop the absolute heinous nightly torment they are inflicting on the poor trapped money-makers they keep trying to convince us they love. Horrible! I’d rather they close permanently but if that isn’t happening immediatey, make them stop this ridiculous unnecessary torture show every freakin’ night!

Reply

Mercy Baron OB Mercy July 13, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Any of you that own animals ever try the Thundershirt for your dogs during the fireworks? Ever heard of it? I know some who have got great results with their dogs during thunderstorms. I just wonder if it would work during fireworks too??

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 13, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I’ve heard about it but haven’t tried it. I tied a bandanna over my dog’s ears on the 4th while I sat with him. That was to cut down on the sound. I will probably give it a try, anything to help him cope.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 14, 2015 at 1:10 pm

We bought one yesterday and will see how it works. $40. I wonder if Sea World would be willing to pay for something like this?

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 15, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Tried it last night, did not work.

Reply

Susie August 17, 2016 at 11:28 am

Thunder shirts Do Not work for most dogs
Save your $$$.

Reply

Mercy Baron OB Mercy July 13, 2015 at 11:16 am

I’m utterly surprised there is no mention of what the fireworks noise does to military veterans too. I just read several articles on what it does to combat vets and triggering their P.T.S.D. symptoms. Shameful.

And as much as I enjoy the fireworks that OB does on the 4th…it’s shocking the next day when you see how many pets (and maybe vets!) go missing around here. Many never to come back home again. That combined with environmental repercussions is truly unforgivable.

Reply

melanie May 24, 2016 at 2:32 pm

People just don’t do it on the 4th or new years

Reply

Jeffeck July 14, 2015 at 7:46 am

By all means lets just not have any fun. People pay big bucks to live here and that is part of the appeal

If you don’t like the fireworks, move to El Cajon or anywhere else. This is where you chose to live. The key word choice. It comes with airplanes and fireworks and that noisy, dirty ocean and the rowdy bars, fire rings and the young people.

That is the appeal of living here. if you want to live in a retirement home by all means there are plenty of trailer parks in Santee.

Seriously, I dont like what America is becoming.. You all preach tolerance but you sure want to ban a whole lot of stuff you cant tolerate.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 14, 2015 at 1:15 pm

If you don’t like what America is becoming, why don’t you move to Romania or anywhere else.

Nice slam on Santee, your surely have revealed your own “tolerance.”

Just remember, in America, we have freedom of speech and a form of democracy. If enough people decide thay don’t want the fireworks, the majority wins. Once again, Romania beckons…

Reply

Mercy Baron OB Mercy July 15, 2015 at 10:29 am

Jeffeck, I visited here for almost 30 yrs before I moved here 7 yrs ago. I stayed at the OB Hotel for each visit. Other than the fireworks, I didn’t know how noisy OB was. When you’re vacationing, you only see and hear the good, not the bad or the ugly.

Now that I live here, it’s not just the fireworks or the planes overhead (I lived next to the runway in Burbank for many years too) it’s, as you mentioned, “The rowdy bars, fire rings, and the young people.” I live in a building with young people, they are all such fun and nice peeps. Albeit, incredibly noisy and like to party late….very late. I choose mostly to ignore it because I have always wanted to live at the beach…live in OB. I will put up with that, because it certainly can’t be changed.

But the fireworks is now found environmentally damaging besides the other problems mentioned. This NEEDS to be changed due to more awareness now about this. This has NOTHING to do with lack of tolerance. It has to do with a collective consciousness.

Reply

Jeffeck July 15, 2015 at 2:57 pm

There has been no research that shows significant lasting environmental damage after several studies.

“Much like the oil spill in the gulf the damage is temporary at best.
Several studies have been done, both in Sweden and in other countries, where measurable fireworks emissions have been studied. In a study from the millennium New Year’s Eve in Stockholm a sharp increase of several substances was observed during and shortly after the launch of large amounts of fireworks. After just one day however, the vast majority of values returned to normal levels.

A government study from 1999 found that the use of fireworks has no significant impact on the environment, with exception of lead emissions, which were considered to have a small but not negligible influence. Since the study was done, a large portion of the lead which then existed in firework articles have been replaced with bismuth oxide, which is considerably more environmentally friendly.

In conclusion it can be said that the emissions caused by today’s fireworks are small but measurable. They fade quickly and pose no significant risk to either people or the environment. “

Reply

Mercy Baron OB Mercy July 15, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Great to hear. Sure doesn’t clear up the damage to our pets or vets problem though, does it?

Reply

Jeffeck July 15, 2015 at 4:17 pm

As I said, I you move here, you accept the conditions. Just like we would move to France and expect them to conduct everything in English or visa versa. Or go to Canada and expect them to measure distance in miles.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 15, 2015 at 5:18 pm

You did not attribute the quotation you provided. A fireworks study in “Sweden and other countries?” How about something from the Southwest of this country, which has a very different climate? And, air quality is only one factor, what falls in the water around Mission Bay or San Diego Bay is another. Try this: https://ecocerf.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/water-and-air-quality-summary-and-exhibits.pdf or another http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/sandiego/water_issues/programs/npdes/fireworks/docs/workshop_notes.pdf

If Sea World’s fireworks do not cause any pollution, why does Sea World have to monitor it as a condition of its Coastal Permit?

Reply

Jeffeck July 15, 2015 at 6:25 pm

The water board study reached a conclusion of inconclusive. The other organization might be biased, you thin since they claim to represent environmentalists. Most of the environmentalists groups are left wing groups hiding behind the environmentalist cause. They have been co-opted by the left to advance their causes. I can provide proof of this.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 16, 2015 at 10:17 am

Well, first, how about an attribution for what you quoted, so we can check that bias? As for the inconclusive decision, that means no one can say that the fireworks aren’t harmful, can they? If you add the possibility that they may be harmful to the environment to the noise issue, I think that makes a good case to discontinue the show.

Reply

melanie May 24, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Then that’s your fault. People like you buy the the suoer loud fireworks and blow them off week after week and so on.

Reply

Jeffeck July 14, 2015 at 2:26 pm

In fact, the majority does not always win, that is why we are a country of laws, not mob rule. That is why the Supreme Court got its way on several cases just a few weeks ago.

The very reason I said I dont like what America has become it has devolved lately to whining and bellyaching by bullies who want to change the country into the sour grapes namby pamby Europeland you advocate.

As far as tolerance, my brother grew up in a trailer park so…I just thought you might enjoy the area of town were people sit on their porch and enjoy the peace and quiet with nothing to excite them and rile them up. Santee seems serene.

John Adams wrote his wife, Abigail, on July 3, 1776 saying that “the day will be the most memorable in the history of America.

“I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival . . . it ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade . . . bonfires and illuminations (fireworks) from one end of this continent to the other, from this day forward forevermore.”

That is how we celebrate in our country. Of course that would smack too much of jingoism to this crowd I suppose

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 15, 2015 at 9:59 am

Jeffeck,

You wrote: “In fact, the majority does not always win, that is why we are a country of laws, not mob rule.” Yes, we are a country of laws passed by a majority vote. What am I missing here?

You wrote: “That is why the Supreme Court got its way on several cases just a few weeks ago.” The Supreme Court didn”t “get its way” on anything. The Supreme Court decides on Constitutional issues.

You wrote: “The very reason I said I dont like what America has become it has devolved lately to whining and bellyaching by bullies who want to change the country into the sour grapes namby pamby Europeland you advocate.” No comment on that, no need for one.

You wrote: “As far as tolerance, my brother grew up in a trailer park so…I just thought you might enjoy the area of town were people sit on their porch and enjoy the peace and quiet with nothing to excite them and rile them up. Santee seems serene.” Although you attempted a recovery here, you just enhanced your low opinion of Santee. If this was what you really meant, I’m sure that no one reading your post would have gotten this interpretation.

As for your John Adams quote, that was about the 4th of July. We are talking about Sea World exploding fireworks every night during the summer season, not the 4th of July. Perhaps you should be more careful in your reading and make sure you understand what everyone is discussing before chiming in. While you’re at it, keep a dictionary handy and look up words like jingoism before you decide to use them.

Reply

Jeffeck July 15, 2015 at 10:36 am

You are missing the part where we are a Republic, not a democracy which means we are represented not majority led. This was a design so as to suppress mob rule and add reason since other people and believe it or not corporations have their rights represented. You can also add property owners to that list (Corporations are just conglomerates of people who pool their resources -usually money- to create a large business with the hopes of gaining a share of the profit).

Indeed, the Supreme Court usually determines constitutionality and of course we can also have a difference of opinion if the court is considered activist and reads “rights” into the Constitution that are not there. But the premise is that the Supreme Court has in the past protected individuals or groups from mob rule by assuring rights are protected even when the majority tries to infringe them.

Santee is a wonderful place but it is also a place with trailer parks..read what you want but if you want a place without all the frills and access to entertainment and the accompanying noise, then you can go there. No need to recover and yes it has a reputation of butinski neighbors.

You are correct, Adams quote is about the fourth of July I considered that when I posted but I was emphasizing that the spirit of America is fireworks, and celebrations regardless of the date. We celebrate New Years the same way. Carnivals , concerts, fairs, baseball games all celebrate with fireworks. This is the way we do it. If you dont like Chinese food, dont move to China. If you live in China and the Chinese start cooking more spicy food, dont petition the restaurant. Its not your restaurant.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 15, 2015 at 11:53 am

You wrote: “You are missing the part where we are a Republic, not a democracy which means we are represented not majority led.” The United States is a democratic republic where the people are represented by democratically elected representatives as opposed to a pure democracy that is only practical for the smallest levels of citizen government. To say we are not a democracy is incorrect. However, because power is fast aggregating into the hands of a few very wealthy people, an argument can be made that we are fast becoming more and more like an oligarchy now.

You wrote: “But the premise is that the Supreme Court has in the past protected individuals or groups from mob rule by assuring rights are protected even when the majority tries to infringe them.” The Supreme Court has protected the rights of some groups of people but not against the majority of the country trying to infringe on those rights. The Supreme Court has protected rights that the Constitution already guaranteed but were not clearly enough enunciated by that document, leaving enough wiggle room for things like the Jim Crow laws, for a while. This was not protection against a majority mob rule. The recent ruling on gay marriage was another example but the majority of people in the country were not against this, only pockets of conservative parts of the country were.

Santee is much more than a collection of trailer parks and it has no more than El; Cajon, Chula Vista, or Escondido. I’m wondering where you developed this impression of Santee.

You wrote: “You are correct, Adams quote is about the fourth of July I considered that when I posted but I was emphasizing that the spirit of America is fireworks, and celebrations regardless of the date. We celebrate New Years the same way. Carnivals , concerts, fairs, baseball games all celebrate with fireworks. This is the way we do it. If you dont like Chinese food, dont move to China. If you live in China and the Chinese start cooking more spicy food, dont petition the restaurant. Its not your restaurant.” No fireworks are not the “spirit of America.” Fireworks were invented by the Chinese and are prevalent the world over. And you referred to celebrations like New Years, carnivals, concerts, fairs, baseball games “regardless of the date.” What dates or events are Sea World’s nightly display of fireworks celebrating? None. The only motivation for these fireworks is money, they are an attraction to sell Sea World tickets and Sea World novelties. They are not celebrating anything, that argument is unsupportable.

Reply

Jeffeck July 15, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Correct it is a democratic republic but you are splitting hairs. We do not grab a whole mess of people and go down to the square and decide by mob to lynch someone we dont like. Representatives are elected to buffer direct democracy with reason.

You are tight we are moving toward oligarchy for because there too much government involvement, hence crony capitalism.

Supreme Courts are up for interpretation on right or wrong. Should only rule up or down on the constitutionality. Our founding document was written so as to allow maximum freedom for both states and individuals, not groups>

I am sure Santee is wonderful.

Chinese did invent fireworks but we adopted them a long time ago as well. Sea World celebrates Sea World, Padres celebrate Padres, Pops celebrate Pops .. nothing wrong with selling tickets and making money

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 15, 2015 at 5:00 pm

You wrote: “Correct it is a democratic republic but you are splitting hairs. We do not grab a whole mess of people and go down to the square and decide by mob to lynch someone we dont like. Representatives are elected to buffer direct democracy with reason.”” Of course not, we have laws against such things, our elected representatives are not elected to enforce the law. Where do you get this idea that it takes elected representatives to “buffer direct democracy with reason?” We have a representative form of government because it is simply impractical to have 300 million people involved in every decision, that is why we have representatives.

You wrote: “You are tight we are moving toward oligarchy for because there too much government involvement, hence crony capitalism.” Too much government involvement? No, the problem is that we allow money to influence politics, it doesn’t matter how much government involvement there is if it is all for sale.

You wrote: “Supreme Courts are up for interpretation on right or wrong. Should only rule up or down on the constitutionality. Our founding document was written so as to allow maximum freedom for both states and individuals, not groups>” Have to disagree with you there. The Supreme Court doesn’t decide what is right or wrong, it is supposed to decide if existing laws conform with the Constitution. And, the Constitution did not provide for maximum freedom for women, blacks, or people who did not own property, amendments were needed for that.

You wrote: “I am sure Santee is wonderful.” That response sounds like you don’t really know despite your opinion that it is a trailer park haven.

You wrote: “Chinese did invent fireworks but we adopted them a long time ago as well. Sea World celebrates Sea World, Padres celebrate Padres, Pops celebrate Pops .. nothing wrong with selling tickets and making money.” You said earlier that “the spirit of America is fireworks,” with which I would disagree. We have adopted many things, like Toyotas, but you wouldn’t say the spirit of America is Toyotas. Yea, the Padres set off fireworks , they scheduled them for two games this year. The Summer Pops concert series shows 20 nights of fireworks. Both take place in areas that are not surrounded by residential neighborhoods. Sea World does them seven nights a week for the entire summer, big difference, they do them bigger, and the bay is surrounded by residential neighborhoods. And no, there is nothing wrong with selling tickets and making money but when it is being done at the expense of a whole lot of people who have to unwillingly partake and a whole lot of frightened animals, it can’t be justified.

Reply

Debbie July 15, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Quieter fireworks are available to commercial enterprises however; Sea World chooses not to use them. Uncaring….just like a neighbor that lets their dog needlessly bark.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 15, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Yes, I have heard that there are quieter ways to launch fireworks but I’ve never seen this, I suspect because the sounds of the explosions are part of the excitement.

As for the uncaring neighbor who “lets their dog needlessly bark,” dogs don’t always bark needlessly, dogs are great at alerting humans to trouble.

There are uncaring neighbors of all kinds out there, for example, there are some who have an obsession with the parking space in front of their homes, going to the extreme of parking an unused vehicle in a space that could accommodate two neighborhood cars just to keep anyone else from using the spaces.

Reply

Jeffeck July 15, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Geoff,

We could go round and round about the role of government, quite frankly, I have a major in Government and Politics, worked in DC on Capitol Hill fro several years, worked n lobbying / govt affairs for several years.. I know how our government works. I was a liberal for many years. I spend much of my spare time studying progressives and their history and I dare say I know much of it better than progressives do.

Did you ever figure that if government was not a part of every thing we do, there would be no influence to buy? Unions, corporations, no profits with axes to grind, etc all want to buy the system for their cause because government has everyone by the gonads>
We dont exist for the government to tell us what to do and intervene in everthing we do, eat think or excrete, do we?

Summer Pops and the Padres are in the middle of downtown where there tons of residential condos and lots of them have pets.

Again unless you are the mayor of Santee, why cant you take that location as a metaphor for a place where people dont want to live where there is alot of noise.

Jingosim: extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy.

I chose that word because lets get down to the nub of the issue, this whole noise/pollution/ collective consciousness nonsense is all about riling up the usual cast of useful idiots (A term used by Lenin-look it up to get the real meaning-not a ad-hominen insult) to further erode our patriotism and love of traditional form of celebrating our lifestyle. The first step is to eliminate and extraneous fireworks and then we can go for the true enemy and patriotic fireworks.

I love the fact you care about animals, and vets (sad that is the second priority) but this is not really a majority issue, it is the few fussbudgets with lots of time on their hands attempting to bully the real majority who just dont have time to deal with this silliness until too many of their freedoms and pleasures are taken away and we are forced to live in the third world slums of socialism and progressive tyranny.

The saddest part of all is that you all don’t even know you are being manipulated.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 16, 2015 at 10:48 am

I don’t understand how you got off on this rant about government. The discussion was about people signing a petition to get Sea World to stop the fireworks. Government gave Sea World permission to shoot the fireworks off so the only path to stop them is through government by petitioning it to rescind that permission. Not that complicated or nefarious.

As I pointed out, the Padres only have fireworks scheduled for two games, not much to protest there. Summer Pops has 20 nights and as downtown fills up with condos, there will be protests if the fireworks are as loud as Sea World’s. Condo living downtown is a relatively new development as would be the presence of pets downtown. Wait and see on that one.

Once again, you are making assumptions about Santee. How do you know that it is a place where people chose to live to avoid noise? I’ve lived here for 38 years and Santee was one of the places folks moved to because housing was less expensive that it is closer to the city, that was the impetus.

The rest of your comment is, again, a rant about government, and has nothing to do with the issue of the petition. There is no government force behind this effort, this is a citizen petition. No government entity is going after our freedoms with a plan to force us into third world slums. I think you’ve gotten way off topic.
As for your final comment about “you all,” which sounded like it included me, not knowing we are being manipulated, well you don’t know me at all so that comment has no basis whatsoever.

Reply

Steven Harrison July 26, 2016 at 9:58 pm

When people use the expression “dog mad” they are referring to articles like this one. Maybe make it more about the people who are paying rents or who have invested in this city rather than obsessing about dogs that bring very little to it.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page July 27, 2016 at 9:57 am

No one who loves animals would ever say that “dogs bring very little to it,” and the article is about a variety of animals that are affected, not just dogs. I don’t see how anyone seeing my dog have a panic attack every night because of those loud booms would not feel compassion for the effect the fireworks have on animals. That said, this article is about animals so your comment is very much out of place. If you think it should be more about people, then maybe you should have spent your time writing one about people instead of disparaging this article that addresses a serious animal cruelty issue..

Reply

jeff August 14, 2016 at 10:07 pm

SeaWorld advocates continue to say the mammals get use to the loud noise. I find that hard to believe since mine and many dog owners say the opposite. My dog is scared to the point she goes downstairs and doesn’t come out for about 45 minutes due to the fireworks.. and this has been 4 years. It gets louder and louder each year. There is no reason for it. Not one person.. and this I guarantee has ever gone to the Sea World for the sole reason of fireworks.. if that was true they could sit in the car on a side street and listen and watch them.. The fact is Sea World doesn’t care about the animals in captivity or our domesticated animals.. if they did they would stop the fireworks. The fireworks doesn’t help their bottom line and one could argue it cost them more money because people would go to SeaWorld without the fireworks.. So why do it.. Because they don’t think and don’t care.

Reply

jeff August 14, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Hello Geoff Page. Do you know the latest on this petition. It’s been 2 years and seems to have stalled. Thanks.

Jeff

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page August 15, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Jeff, I completely agree with your comments. But, I don’t know much about the petition other than that it was delivered to three city council members. I know the woman who initiated it, or rather, I know here husband. I will check to see what, if any, responses she got.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page August 30, 2016 at 10:35 am

Jeff,

I finally got the information you asked about. The petition got 12,000 signatures. The lady who initiated it said the petition was closed by Change.org but she sould ask them to reopen it. She said she had gotten too busy to carry it forward but would see if it could be reopened if someone wanted to pick up the baton. It was forwarded to four city council members, Alvarez, Lightner, Emerald, and Gloria. I suggest that everyone email these four and ask what has happened with the petition.

Reply

Jeffeck August 15, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Funny, People in Anaheim who live next to Disneyland seem fine with it and they live alot closer.

Might it be there are too many fussbudgets in OB?

Hmmm

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page August 15, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Fine with what? Are you saying that Disneyland fires off really loud fireworks every night of the summer? And, if so, how do you know they are fine with it? I don’t consider being worried about the welfare of my dogs and lots of others to be “fussbudgets.” Do you have a dog?

Reply

Jeffeck August 16, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Of course they do. Summer and winter. Yes I have a dog and she has become more sensitive to fireworks as she gets older. and I live closer than most Sea World So she goes under the table and we close the door.

I would never think of imposing my will on others. Sea World has been here for a very long time and most people enjoy the beautiful fireworks. I enjoy them too. It is part of our special lifestyle here.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page August 16, 2016 at 3:04 pm

So, you say Disneyland sets off fireworks but you didn’t answer my question as to how you know the folks in that area are fine with that.

How long have you lived here then? And you have an older dog who is affected and you still think this is Ok? Shutting the door does very little for the fear, a dog’s hearing is very acute and a shut door is not enough to quell the anxiety.

So you say you would never think of imposing your will on others but you seem to think that is OK for Sea World to do that I take it?

As for your claim that most people enjoy the fireworks, what do you have to back that up? Over 11,000 people signed the petition to end the fireworks at Sea World, that’s a fact that can be backed up with the petition. https://www.change.org/p/city-council-stop-the-nightly-fireworks-at-seaworld?tk=z0fFzvIrUyjVWqSZd5Trjf7c2H7gwnEPUhz3hGYgCOc&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

What do you have?

Finally, I don’t think fireworks are a part of our beautiful lifestyle here, the beauty of life here is the great outdoors, the sun, the warm air, the ocean, the mountains. Explosions every night just shatter the peace and calm. And, there are ways to have fireworks without so much noise or any noise at all.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page August 16, 2016 at 3:13 pm
Jeffeck August 16, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Your petition amounts to diddly squat for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, where are all the “petition signers” from? How many are citizens of the area that are near enough to be affected by the fireworks.

Secondly, is this headed for a ballot initiative? If not, then your petition holds about as much force as a wet noodle. Also, Sea World has rights as well, especially since they have the permits to set off fireworks and pay the taxes and fees as well as follow all regulations to do so.

Seems there a few fussbudgets in Anaheim too, doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. You seem to have a lot of time on your hands to complain. You are well known in the community and I have watched your endeavours, some I find admirable others such as this just seem to be you and a few others pet peaves…pun intended. Oh well gotta have something to do will all that time on your hands

I have lived here quite some time (well over 20 years) and also other places in the US and when I chose (because it was a choice) to adopt a dog, I realized she would have to deal with airplanes, cars, fireworks, drunks and other things endemic to OB life. I would not presume to bring her into my home and tell others that now that I have a dog, that they cannot fly, drive, stop drinking or they need to shut down a large part of the entertainment they provide to accommodate my dog for gods sake.

When I moved here and adopted my dog , I did so because I like being near all those things and particularly the free nightly fireworks show. Perhaps you should consider if you can tolerate all of the attractions and amenities that our wonderful little beach town has to offer. If not…people move out of OB all the time.

Reply

Geoff Page Geoff Page August 16, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Seems I pricked a nerve there, Jeffeck.
Where are they all from? I would assume the majority are from the area, who else would know about the issue or care? Even if some weren’t, 11,000 plus signatures are a lot.
As for the diddly squat comment, well is it necessary to stoop to insults in a discussion?
I never said the petition held much force, it was simply a way for me to back up my point that a great many people are not happy with the fireworks, which was contrary to your point. I asked you for proof to back up your claim that a great many people love the fireworks, where is it? Again, “wet noodle?” Can’t you just discuss without that kind of thing?
Sure Sea world is entitled to set off the fireworks because they have permits and pay taxes and pay fees as well as follow all the regulations to do so – wait a minute, how do you know all that? But, whatever entitlements they have are granted by government, a government we elect, so those entitlements can be questioned and removed.
A few fussbudgets in Anaheim? There you go again with the pejoratives. Just because they don’t agree with your opinion you find it necessary to pin an unflattering name on them? And there are more than a few.
A few others? Pet peeve? 10,999 others plus me. And this is becoming more of a pet peeve because the fireworks are louder this year than ever before. I’m beginning to think I need to spend a lot more time on this one. Sea World is just a business. The reason why there has been little progress on this here and in Anaheim is because the tax revenues from businesses make the local governments slather and ignore the complaints. If Sea World was dumping barrels of toxic waste in to the bay, I don’t think the city would do anything, which is why it is up to people who care to do something.
Your analogy is very weak, I’m afraid. Airplanes, cars, fireworks, drunks? Which one affects dogs? The one that you don’t find in very many other places. And the fireworks, I would argue, are not a large part of their entertainment. The fireworks are a very small part of the entertainment, a part that would not be missed.
I’ve lived in OB for 36 years, I’ve seen all the fireworks I ever want to see. Sea World’s displays have numbed me to these displays, which is a shame because I used to enjoy the 4th of July displays. Now, it’s the 4th of July every night. And I have no intention of moving out of OB but that also doesn’t mean I, and others, can’t try to change our environment when we think something is harmful.
I will say that it was nice to hear you adopted a dog, you get a gold star for that at least.

Reply

Leave a Comment

Older Article:

Newer Article: