The Guys Who Named the Sunset Cliffs Surf Breaks

by on December 10, 2018 · 16 comments

in Ocean Beach

Bob “lizard” Chapman, John Holly, Jim “Mouse’ Robb, Billy Chapman and Marsh Malcom. Photo by Albert C Elliott. 12/8/18 at the OB Library.

Originally posted Dec. 10, 2018

If you ever wondered about the names of the Sunset Cliffs surf breaks – these are the guys who named them.

If you’ve been surfing the Cliffs for a few years – like decades maybe – you might be fortunate enough to know these guys. They’re OB and Point Loma legends. And there they were at the OB Library, Saturday, December 8, just yakking it up about the good old days of surfing.

This photo is by Albert C Elliott.

Avatar Geoff Page December 10, 2018 at 2:19 pm

I would love to have these guys draw up a map of the spots with the names. I’ve been surfing out there for years but still don’t have all the names and locations straight. For example, from north to south, which is first, Subs or Abs? New Break is the next one south and north are north and south Garbage. The rest I’m unsure of.

Avatar triggerfinger December 10, 2018 at 2:31 pm

I knew a guy who drew a map once, the next day he had 10 broken fingers.

Avatar Geoff Page December 10, 2018 at 3:42 pm

I’m guessing that was meant as a joke. It’s not like any of the surf spots along Sunset Cliffs are secret any more, or ever were really. I’d just like to see an accurate depiction of the names.

Avatar George J December 10, 2018 at 4:06 pm

I have a book describing California’s surf breaks. Its map for Sunset Cliffs and Point Loma lists breaks in order from north to south as follows: Pescadero St.; Osprey St.; Bird Shit; No Surf; Indicator; Needle’s Eye; Luscomb’s; Rockslide; Lizard’s; North Garbage; South Garbage; Sub; Ab; South Ab; Newbreak; Chasm; 33’s; Pink House; Pillbox; and Ralph’s.

The book is entitled: Surfing California: A Complete Guide to the California Coast / Allan “Bank” Wright Jr. : Redondo Beach, CA : Mountain & Sea Publishing, 1985.

Avatar Tyler December 11, 2018 at 9:25 am

That’s correct, although South Ab is often referred to as Out of Sights.

Avatar Tyler December 11, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Also to my knowledge Sub is short for Subleo.

Avatar ACE December 12, 2018 at 7:52 am

The name “Subs” was from a large chunk of cliff that fell in to the water and looked like a “submarine”.. That is what the story was the other day.

Avatar Tyler December 13, 2018 at 7:40 am

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I heard Scat called it Subleo once and wasn’t sure why… perhaps that’s his own nickname!

Avatar Melinda White December 23, 2018 at 10:13 am

Subleo is just a horked guys way of saying Sub Left. Theres an inside left at sub that you can ride almost to the cliff and its fast. It’s a way of saying Sub Left but not really saying the name so people don’t overhear you talking.
For the guy who said the cliffs were never really a secret didn’t grow up here, obviously. There was MAJOR localism for decades. There were constant brawls in the water and on the beach. Like Pitbulls when you come into their yard. Unfortunately, too many guys with not enough sea time go out there now when they really should be practicing on softer, more forgiving waves at a beach break before paddling out at a reef break.

Geoff Page Geoff Page March 11, 2019 at 11:13 am

Melinda, Localism and secret spots are two different things. The breaks along the cliffs are not secret and probably never were except for the very early days of surfing when everything was being discovered. But, for the cliffs, all a person has to do is drive Sunset Cliffs Blvd.and they are all easily seen. Localism is another matter entirely, that is locals trying to keep others out of “their” breaks. The one place where it has endured is New Break, the last easily accessible break along the cliffs.

sealintheSelkirks sealintheSelkirks December 10, 2018 at 10:00 pm

I guess Dolphin Tanks was a later name added due to the buildings and tanks used in trying to turn dolphins into weapons?

Avatar Rich December 17, 2018 at 4:32 pm

I was a Cal Western student beginning September 1967…from the North

Garbage – looking up to what is now the parking lot, south of the streets (because we could see trash dumped up above)

Sub (named after the submarine shaped rock as noted above)

Ab (left)

South Ab (right)

Newbreak (mostly right)

Lighthouse (into the Navy area south of campus)

Church

Avatar barbra rhoda March 7, 2019 at 1:46 pm

i believe there is a Surf.
place called ‘CHAPMAN’ is this true ? maybe tom chapman knows? or billy chapman?

Avatar Tom "lizard " Chapman March 7, 2019 at 9:14 pm

First my name ain’t Bob it’s Tom. Barbra Rhoda is my first wife and I’m surprised she didn’t know “Lizards” is named after me because I had a nickname and Billy Chapman my brother didn’t. There is Chapman’s.
We called Dolphin Tanks Moustache because it broke left and right and at that time Dolphin Tanks was a salt water conversion plant that was sent to Guantanamo Bay when Castro threatened to cut the water supply to the base.

Avatar Jeff Hoke March 8, 2019 at 5:56 pm

A friend of mine surfed fence line at inside chasum a few time when there no surf just to get wet

Avatar Steve Morgan May 5, 2019 at 7:37 pm

The really cool thing about Submarine Rock is not only did it look like a submarine but it appeared to submerge. The rock would be dry at low tide and under the the water at hight tide. I have and old photo of “Submarine Rock” looking through the arch, which collapsed many years ago. The rock itself eventually eroded to a nebulous shape.