Last Night of GOP Convention: Police Block & Arrest Scores of Protesters In Ugly Show of Force

by on September 4, 2008 · 0 comments

in Civil Disobedience, Civil Rights, Election

The final night of the convention led to confrontations between police and protesters. Hundreds of arrests may result by this morning.

By Curt Brown, Randy Furst, Heron Marquez Estrada & Terry Collins /  Star Tribune / September 4, 2008

Police arrested scores more people Thursday night after another series of tense showdowns with protesters on the final night of the Republican National Convention in St. Paul.

A tense standoff between police and protestors was diffused on the John Ireland bridge over I-94. Photo: David Joles, Star Tribune

Sweeping into the State Capitol grounds in riot gear, police used snowplows, horses and dump trucks to seal off downtown from antiwar demonstrators attempting a march to the Xcel Energy Center.

“They chose not to leave when told to do so and now everyone’s paying the price,” said one officer on the scene.

As police blocked off bridges to stop demonstrators from getting downtown, a rolling series of sit-down protests started on the John Ireland Boulevard bridge over Interstate 94. The arrests ended with more than 200 demonstrators, squatting with their hands on their heads, taken into custody on the Marion Street bridge.

Police used tear gas and pepper spray to quell some of the unrest.

A group of more than 700 demonstrators had a permit to rally and march. But they were angry the permit expired at 5 p.m., before delegates began arriving at the Xcel Energy Center for GOP presidential nominee John McCain’s acceptance speech.

Authorities said about 88 people were arrested by 10 p.m. But Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher said that number was expected to swell past 200, most being held for unlawful assembly.

Among those arrested were two Associated Press reporters covering the event. They were issued a citation and detained, along with a KARE-11 TV photographer and more than a dozen other members of the media. All were released later in the evening.

“They’re trying to steal our protest — we have to ignore the police intimidation,” Katrina Plotz, an organizer with the Anti-War Committee, hollered from a stage in front of the Capitol steps.

But ignoring the police wasn’t easy during one of the largest shows of force on the fifth straight day of confrontations in St. Paul. Here’s the link.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Older Article:

Newer Article: