New Class-Action Suit Claims Belongings of Homeless People in East County Are Illegally Trashed
By Blake Nelson / San Diego Union-Tribune / June 16, 2024
Early one morning in 2022, Christy Gillette was woken by sheriff’s deputies.
The officers told her to move or face arrest. Gillette, who’s now 51, had been sleeping outside near the Santee Drive-In and responded that she couldn’t leave without her walker. The deputies instead threw the walker away, along with the cremated ashes of her husband and son.

Dear Council members:
In another campaign swing this morning, Thursday, June 6, Mayor Todd Gloria held a news conference at the site of the now-demolished H-Barracks on Harbor Drive. The subject of his message at this “conference” was budgeting to address the homeless crisis in our city.
Four years ago, in 2020, two guys who were homeless would get up every morning at 4 am — and clean the streets and sidewalks of Ocean Beach. Dave Hendon and Marc Gervais became somewhat famous after a TV reporter’s story about them went viral.
By Colleen O’Connor
The San Diego City Council recently approved a nearly $3.2 million settlement in a federal lawsuit case, Michael Bloom, et al. v. City of San Diego, which challenged the existing Vehicle Habitation Ordinance. The settlement set new rules for how the City is allowed to enforce its ordinances against unhoused people who sleep in their vehicles or RVs during a three-year period.
By Ryan Fonseca /
by Marisa Kendall / 
By Lisa Mortensen / April 7, 2024
by Marisa Kendall/
On Thursday, April 4, Mayor Todd Gloria announced that he is seeking to turn a large warehouse on Kettner Blvd into a 65,000 square foot homeless shelter. The building — at 3570 Kettner — is at the corner with Vine Street, just next to the I-5 freeway and near Pacific Highway. Gloria says it will be space for 1,000 people, showers, a kitchen, recreational facilities and counseling services.




Recent Comments