New Recycling Center Opens Next to Pat’s Liquor in Ocean Beach

by on October 9, 2019 · 15 comments

in Ocean Beach

Here’s some good news. Ocean Beach has a brand new recycling center.

Prince’s Recycling Center just opened earlier this week next to well-known Pat’s Liquor at 5096 Voltaire at the intersection with Abbott Street. James Prince and Allison and Laura are making the bold venture.

Their center will be open Mondays through Saturdays, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and closed on Sundays.

I spoke to Basil, the owner of Pat’s Liquor, who told me he was approached by Prince with the idea. Prince has experience in this business, as he was behind the recycling center up at Stump’s market until recently. Basil said he was open but wanted to wait and see if Prince was serious enough to obtain the city and state licenses – which Prince did.

Basil said he’s not worried that recyclers will get in the way of his customers because James has strict rules: no shopping carts and no loitering.

There’s plenty of room for vehicles to drive up and unload.

This is a much needed addition to OB and Point Loma. Ever since Prince was forced to close his operation at Stump’s, the area hasn’t had a recycling center close by. Plus what with the current California recycling crisis, the neighborhood needs this outlet.

Laura and James.

Thank you James, Allison, Laura and Basil.

Avatar Val October 9, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Yay!! This is great news. I was wondering what was going on. Great luck!! Love the tribute too.

Avatar Sam October 9, 2019 at 4:27 pm

Ugh!! More junkies traipsing through the neighborhood. Wouldn’t this be a better addition to the Sports Arena neighborhood?

Avatar Deez Nuts October 12, 2019 at 5:38 pm

It won’t be any different than it already is.

Avatar Denine October 9, 2019 at 8:16 pm

This is excellent news!

Avatar Nanci Kelly October 9, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Thanks so much to the people at Pat’s Liquor and Prince for making this happen. Our local recycling system needs the facility, and I was impressed by the way Prince’s Recycling Center at Stump’s was run. Instead of responding to Sam’s comment, I’ll just thank the many hard-working recyclers that I meet in my alley, and throughout the community, who are contributing to Jim Bell’s vision and the possibility of a sustainable future for my granddaughters, Emma and Olivia. Great news!

Avatar Sam October 10, 2019 at 10:14 am

There is a problem with the alley folk recycling by digging through everybody’s garbage. In order for the city to continue its blue bin recycling program, they need to collect as much of the easily recyclable items as possible, which gives them a justifiable revenue stream. When you take away the bottles and cans from that program it becomes increasingly expensive to operate and the city will be left with 2 options. Either raise taxes for sanitation or stop the recycling program. I would rather not be left with either of those two choices. Not to mention, I don’t like junkies digging through my trash.

Avatar ZZ October 10, 2019 at 1:36 pm

If the city would make the time of its truck schedule more regular, we could time putting out our blue bins to discourage this. But in the past three cycles, they came at about 7:45 one morning and 11:30am the next cycle. I don’t mind grabbing cans off the top of the bin, however a regular occurrence is:

Looking for unlocked gates or cans against the side of a house
Make tons of noise
Taking cardboard items off the top, dropping it on the ground
Ripping through bags in the black bin and making
Leaving the lid open for trash to blow out

In fact, one or more of these things happens pretty much every week.

Avatar retired botanist October 10, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Both Sam and ZZ have some good points. I lived on Voltaire street for 4 years, and my 2nd floor apt was about 6 feet from the neighboring building. I was plagued by the disturbance and noise from a neighbor who, at least 3 times a day, would come out to the back of her unit and crush cans she had collected from our (and other) recycle bins right under my window. She collected pounds and pounds of them, it was obviously an obsession, not to mention a source of income for her and her family. Sometimes she would crush cans for an hour at 11pm. Not to mention a source of flies, rodents, and possum. I tried filing a noise complaint, I tried filing a nuisance complaint as she would come over and rake through our recycle bins for the cans, at all hours. They also had a rooster- for a very short time-THAT noise complaint worked. But honestly, between that and the airplane noise, it was dealbreaker.
I don’t know what the answer to all this is, but I applaud these folks for their efforts at keeping recycling facilities going. I can also say SD has a much better recycling effort than other areas of the country- hard to believe so many other areas of the U.S. are incredibly behind in this critical problem.

Avatar Val October 11, 2019 at 12:34 pm

Sam – I totally agree. I can’t stand to be woken up as the bums rummage through the bins. Actually I was stoked when all the nearby recycling centers closed, I can always drive mine to a facility. However, I found that nothing changed. I still had people digging through the bins. So that is why I am onboard with the new recycle center close by. I will no longer have to drive to recycle. As long as the owners don’t allow loitering and shopping carts we should be OK.

Avatar Tyler October 10, 2019 at 11:28 am

It’s illegal to dig through other people’s bins for recyclables, and I wish it was enforced. The “world class canning” traffic definitely decreased a lot in my alley after the last center shut. Suddenly the cleanliness of the alley went up by an order of magnitude.

Avatar paul October 10, 2019 at 6:28 pm

These centers should refuse to take recyclables unless you can prove you are a resident with an electric bill or ID/driver’s license. No more professional blue bin thieves from other places or homeless scavengers (except for residents who do it).

Frank Gormlie Frank Gormlie October 10, 2019 at 9:58 pm

Paul – pretty sure that would be unconstitutional.

Avatar paul October 11, 2019 at 1:36 pm

yeah probably lol

Avatar Peter from South O October 11, 2019 at 2:47 am

Providing ID when redeeming at a California recycling center is required when the total is >$100. Much respect for Mr. Prince; the regulations that his biz has to operate under are not onerous, but precise and strictly enforced.
As far as the Constitution is concerned, what I believe to be unconstitutional is charging a recycling deposit to the individual and not offering the refund with equal ease. Grocery stores used to have reverse-vending machines out in front. You put in an empty can or bottle, out came spare change or a cash coupon to redeem in the store.
Then came the professional canners and everything went downhill.
Here at Casa Pedro we took one of our recycling containers, cut a hole in the top and locked the sucker with a padlock that Waste Management (the contractor up here in Oceanside) provided. Cans and bottles in the top, pros have not raided it once since.
This gets the value back into the local recycling operation (and it isn’t as noisy at 3AM).

Avatar Paul Holmes October 11, 2019 at 4:41 am

I live behind Stumps and ever since they got rid of the recycling center that used to be in the Stumps parking lot, the tourist problem has literally gone away in this area. Now that this new recycling center has opened I can garuntee you that it will only bring extra ripe tourtists to your area. Good Luck because your gonna need it!