Nuclear Shutdown News – June 2015: Balloon Shuts Down Troubled Indian Point Plant

by on June 29, 2015 · 1 comment

in Civil Rights

balloon mylar

A Mylar balloon similar to this one led to a sequence of events that shut down the Indian Point nuke plant.

By Michael Steinberg / Black Rain Press

Nuclear Shutdown News chronicles the continuing decline of the US nuclear industry, and the efforts of those who are working to bring about a nuclear free future. As US nukes increasingly approach or surpass their 40 year lives, they are becoming more qnd more dangerous and outdated. They need to be shut down and replaced with renewable energy sources—now!

1. Balloon Shuts Down Indian Point Plant

On June 16 the New York state The Journal News reported, “a balloon tangled in electrical wires led to a sequence of events resulting in the shutdown of the Indian Point nuclear plant,” which is located 35 miles up the Hudson River from New York City.

The Journal News reported that plant operators asked workers to “open an electrical circuit so they could remove a large Mylar balloon caught in wires south of the plant.”

But soon thereafter another circuit breaker also opened, “resulting in automatic shutdown of Indian Point reactor 3.”

Indian Point Nuke plant

Indian Point nuke plant

As reported in last month’s Nuclear Shutdown News, that same reactor shut down in May after a fire and explosion. That accident resulted in the dumping of large amounts of water, firefighting foam and oil into the Hudson River.

In recent years New York state has been trying to get Indian Point owner Entergy to permanently shut it down because of increasingly unsafe conditions and its proximity to New York City.  Source: The Journal News

2. The Homer Simpson Rules:Pacific Gas & Electric fails to load spent fuel at Diablo Canyon properly.

On June 18 The Santa Barbara Independent reported,

“The Nuclear Regulatory Commission found that PG&E ,operators of the Diablo Canyon nuclear plant, failed to comply with technical specifications when loading spent fuel into 19 storage casks.”

The Independent also reported,

”Activists of Mothers For Peace questioned how many of the dry storage casks could have been loaded improperly.”

For its part, PG&E spokesperson Blair Jones said the problem was “administrative in nature not safety related.”

David Weissman, speaking for the Alliance For Nuclear Responsibility, responded,

“PG&E’s failure to comply with existing rules posed serious procedural concerns. Who are the Homer Simpsons here? This is a ‘Doh!’ moment.”

Diablo Canyon is California’s last remaining operating nuke plant since Japan’s Fukushima disaster in 2011, and the permanent closure of the San Onofre nuclear plant in 2013.  Source: Santa Barbara Independent

This issue of Nuclear Shutdown News takes a summer trip outside the US to focus on nuke news in other parts of the world Lest you wonder, we take no pleasure in this cruise.

3. South Korea’s oldest nuke may shut down.

On June 15 powertechnology.com reported:

”South Korea is likely to shut down its oldest nuclear unit.”

The site said the nationo –

“might close operations at Koti unit 1 operated by Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power, after an energy advisory panel recommended against extension of operation of operations amidst safety concerns.”

Panel head Yoom Sang Jick was quoted by Reuters:

“The energy committee concluded that the permanent closure of Kori #1 is desirable for the mid and long term development of our nuclear industry.”

The 587 Megawatt nuclear reactor has been operating in Busan for 40 years.  Sources: powertechnology.com. Reuters.com

4. Delays at Fukushima Extended

On June 10 Fukushimaupdate.com reported that removal of spent nuclear fuel from the multiple meltdown Fukushima nuclear plant has once again been pushed back.

Fukushima Updaste cited The Japan Times in reporting that the Japanese government and Fukushima owner TEPCO are now planning to delay removing the nuclear fuel from melted down reactor #1 “for up to three years.”

Actually they have to find it first!

In addition, Fukushima Update reported that removal of spent fuel from the reactor 3 spent fuel pool has been pushed back two more years.  And removal of spent fuel from the pools for rectors 1 and 2 has beeb dekayed until Fiscal year 2020.  The government says the complete decommissioning of Fukushima will take “30-40 years>”

The site also reported that the government is now saying that “the current plan has placed too much burden on workers at the nuclear complex.” Sources: Fukushimaupdate.com. Japan Times

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Michael R. Ryan July 1, 2015 at 9:20 am

If they weren’t using those same sites for enrichment programs the threat would be reduced.

Reply

Leave a Comment

Older Article:

Newer Article: