Point Loma “Grocery Outlet” Market Having Grand Opening in Midway Area – Sat., Feb. 16th

by on February 16, 2013 · 5 comments

in Economy

A brand new grocery store is moving into the Midway area of Ocean Beach and having its Grand Opening today, Saturday, Fe. 16th.  It’s Grocery Outlet  at 3948 W. Point Loma Blvd. From 8 am to 3pm.

Attendees will enjoy free coffee and treats, free eco-frugal reusable bags for the first 500 customers, fun games with prize giveaways and activities for the whole family to enjoy, as well as the chance to win an Old School Fish Board, a pair of “His” and “Hers” Beach Cruiser Bikes, a Panasonic Viera 42” 3-D TV or free groceries for a year!

Independent Store Operators

Mark and Stephanie Baldwin are the owners of ther new Point Loma Grocery Outlet.

The following is from their website:

After years of pursuing someone else’s dream, it’s time to pursue their own as owners and operators of their own Grocery Outlet!

 Mark is new to Grocery Outlet, but not new to the grocery business, having spent over 29 years at Safeway. He worked in several positions in the company, ultimately spending the last 22 years as store director in numerous locations throughout California. Stephanie is no stranger to good food either, as she spent over 25 years on the production side as a pastry chef. Most recently, she ran her own business specializing in wedding cakes and dessert catering. Mark and Stephanie are very excited to be part of the Grocery Outlet team. They are looking forward to being able to touch the lives of their customers by providing them with extreme values and great customer experiences.

Mark and Stephanie are firm believers that a community is a reflection of its schools, and its schools are a reflection of the community. As proud parents of six children, they have been involved with the schools in their community for over 25 years, and bring a lot of passion and experience to helping schools, churches and other community-based organizations.

 Mark and Stephanie are proud to be a part of a team so committed to their customers and look forward to serving the community of Point Loma!




{ 5 comments… read them below or add one }

John February 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Apparently Grocery Outlet is like a franchised Big Lots but for groceries. 170 stores all independently owned but supplied through headquarters purchasing (not likely shipping from a central warehouse though) from manufacturers closeouts. overstock, etc for 75% of their goods, the other 25% at regular price as a convenience.
My take, check the “use by” dates, watch what you buy, and might be some good deals there.
Home office in Berkeley, probably something about that Frank might like? :-)
Thanks for the heads up, wouldn’t have known about this. They have a sign up for email offers that claims a $3 off voucher for new customers? See how that works out.


gailpowell February 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm

My son & I checked it out this morning. It’s a gorgeous brand new store with lots of great prices on everything a household needs. When I lived in Imperial Beach, I always shopped at the original Grocery Outlet store in Chula Vista. You will be surprised at just how much $$ you can save shopping here.


Debra February 17, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I miss the Long’s Drugs that used to be over there.


John February 18, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Yep, CVS took it over, cut its size in half and jacked the prices up through the roof. Made me appreciate Rite-Aid a lot more. It’s typical of acquisitions, if you can’t beat the competition’s service, buy them out and bury them. There is always some lip service about it being better for the customer, but it doesn’t take long to find out otherwise.


lyn February 21, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I checked this place out although I didn’t expect to find anything because we are whole food eaters. I thought it would be a dented can and frosted flakes place, but that is not the case (well I did see the flakes and other packaged stuff). However I obtained a goat cheddar, pancetta, crimini mushrooms, organic spinach, a beautiful head of cauliflower all for less than 1/2 of anywhere else. I marveled over the potted fresh tulips too. The staff was wonderful, I hope they keep their energy as it was nice to know some jobs were created. I understand the trick to this place is not to go in with your set list, but to go with an open mind and see what they have. As a creative cook, I loved the ingredients I found and can’t wait to put something together.


Leave a Comment

Older Article:

Newer Article: