‘How Was Your SDG&E Bill?’ – Open Thread

by on January 28, 2022 · 16 comments

in Energy, Ocean Beach, San Diego

On initial perusal, our current SDG&E bill is a whopping 100% increase from our December bill! And we’re being told next month’s bill will be even higher.

So, how’s your SDG&E bill?

This is an open thread – which means we’re asking readers to give us thoughts and feedback in the comments section to this post.

Nancy Vukovich January 28, 2022 at 12:20 pm

$306.77 I live in ~550 square feet with a small wall furnace. During these cool days I can’t turn off the wall furnace as it take 24 hour to heat up just some of the house. I also run a small Vornado heater in the bathroom for an hour or two a day, it’s an important room!

Adam January 28, 2022 at 7:13 pm

You need to have SDGE come do an energy assessment. See where you’re losing all your heat. Also, turn off the heat, put on a beanie, socks and a sweatshirt. You’re in southern California, you’re not going to freeze.

Frank Gormlie January 29, 2022 at 7:23 am

Sure dude, it was only 37 the other early morning. I suppose those frost warnings are only for show.

lyle January 29, 2022 at 6:32 am

In my case it is more than 100% increase. Maybe they needed two million per day to make ends meet.

sealintheselkirks January 29, 2022 at 10:46 am

This morning the dog’s nose on the edge of the bed woke me up snuffling under the sheet wanting out, pulled on sweat pants and Ugg slippers and walked downstairs to let her out the front door. The tigerkitty was outside waiting for her food already while Cinners went for her morning roll in the snow off the porch (a daily ritual this time of year). I rubbed on the kitty while I put crunchies in her bowl and checked the outside thermometer, 30’F. Much warmer than yesterday’s last dog walk at 14’F. Came back inside and added some wood to the woodburner coals, checked the inside thermometer it was 61’F. Went back upstairs for a longsleeve t.

It’s amazing what an OB/MB-raised surfer kid can get comfortable with. No goose bumps, just a little body chill is all. I’m used to it.

My Avista bill for this 1,900 sq ft, 1 1/2 story house with two water wells was $47 last month as my electricity comes from the Columbia dams. I keep everything on surge protector strips and turn them off when not in use including the dryer and washing machine. If I still lived in hometown OB…I wouldn’t be able to live in San Diego as I couldn’t afford to just with the monthly electric bills!

Why aren’t Public Utilities, you know, public? Because it’s all about privatization for profit, shareholder dividends and enormous CEO paychecks and golden parachutes…vultures. Same problem with Public Health that isn’t public, either. Corporate vampires sucking the blood out of everything and there doesn’t seem to be anything we can do about it. Greed. Maybe if utilities were publicly-owned they wouldn’t keep burning California towns town due to cutting maintenance in favor of those CEO bonus checks, eh?

sealintheSelkirks

Sam January 29, 2022 at 6:13 pm

My bill actually went down!

December cost per kWh = .5852
January cost per kWh = .4139

Don Wood January 29, 2022 at 8:23 pm

How about your natural gas bill?

unwashedWalmartThONg January 29, 2022 at 7:43 pm

What a pack of thieves. Nothing but thieves. Remember about seven/eight
years ago & the company introduced the tiered system for rates? Yea, what a pack of thieves. Once upon a morning back then, I owned a little biz. Before the rate hike biz SDG&E bill ran about $1300.00. Then someone bribed the PUC & the bill spiked one thousand dollars a month, & it stayed that way for over a year. The company did nothing for this money; they just took it. So they took about 12/15 thousand right off the top of the lil biz’ profit.
Pack o’ thieves in suits ‘n ties.
Now a days, at home, I tuck a hairdryer under the covers at night to warm up that chilly cotton, & I sleep like a baby bunny. Rest o’ the house is freezin’ but I don’t give a shit.

unwashedWalmartTHOng January 29, 2022 at 7:52 pm

Nice little fluff piece at KPBS.org re SDG&E’s microgrid pilot project. I’m so glad to have assisted these crooks with their pet project; that lost $15k must have helped a great deal with their vanadium redox flow batteries.
Take a hike you pack o’ grifters. Go join a Tr*mp rally somewhere in a
backwards state like Texas or Florida.

Don Wood January 29, 2022 at 8:27 pm

Now that people are beginning to revolt over SDG&E’s unreasonably high electricity rates, and 700K customers have migrated to the local CCAs, SDG&E has decided it’s time to increase its natural gas bills. It colludes with its Sempra affiliate SoCal Gas to increase what SoCal Gas charges SDG&E for gas supplies, then tells its customers and the CPUC that it can’t do anything because its cost of gas is going up, and all its doing it pass along those increases to its customers.

Michael January 30, 2022 at 5:30 am

Lol. When I left San Diego, I still receives bills from SDG&E saying I owed about $48 per month for no usage at all.

Judy Swink January 30, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Laugh if you will but I’m one of those people who still hangs on to paper bills, in this case SDG&E. Struck by the huge increases in my electricity bills this winter and last winter, I pulled out several years worth (older bills now shredded). Historically, my Dec.-Jan. bills have always been below $100. My last two bills have been $165 & $193.

These substantial increases are not exclusively due to kWh price increases. My Dec.-Jan. bills, 2017-2022, show a substantial decrease in Baseline kWh allowance, from 2019 (419) to 2020 (363). This is followed by larger decreases in Baseline allowances in Dec.-Jan. 2021 (290) & 2022 (273). These are the coldest months in SD Co. so ratepayers will by necessity use far more kWh.

So, Dec.-Jan. 2020, Baseline was 363; I used 406 kWh and did not exceed the 130% of Baseline that would have kicked me into the next, more expensive tier.

Dec.-Jan. 2021, Baseline was 290; I used 479 kWh and exceeded the 130% of much lower Baseline by 101 kWh.

Dec.-Jan.2022, Baseline was 273; I used 354, exceeding the Baseline by 101 kWh.

It seems probable that Baseline allowances for residences throughout the county are experiencing the same decreases in allowance and concomitant increases in their cost for electricity, both in winter and in summer with use of air conditioning, a problem I don’t face here at the coast very often. So, again, our rapidly rising electricity bills are due both to increasing electricity & generation rates and to rapidly decreasing Baseline kilowatt hours allowances.

Fletcher Miller February 1, 2022 at 8:20 am

This was really interesting to see how the baseline allowance has been going down each year for the months you compared. We are approaching six years now with solar, so we don’t have any issues with that. However, it made me wonder how they can keep reducing it? I found this:

Baseline allowances are set between 50%-60% of the electricity the average residential customer uses in each territory.

For more detail see: https://www.sdge.com/residential/pricing-plans/how-pricing-plans-work/how-rates-are-set

So, as people in your area switch to LEDs, more efficient refrigerators, and take other electricity-saving measures, the baseline ratchets down! It forces you to keep up with the neighbors or you pay more. What a scheme!

I will put in a plug for solar if you have the roof for it. We love it. Just do it before May of this year, as the net-metering law is under massive assault by the utilities and may change then.

Judy Swink February 4, 2022 at 4:25 pm

Fletcher – thanks for the link. I’ll explore it. The explanation of how the baseline rate is set seems worth some journalistic research, maybe Voice of San Diego.

I live in a condo complex. Although we now can add solar, it’s not worth my while to spend thousands to put in when my electricity bills are generally low here in the coastal zone. I rarely use air conditioning and use heat only during Nov.-Feb. (at least, so far) so am usually well below even the low Baseline rate. BTW, my Dec.-Jan. Baseline in 2018 & 2019 was 419 kWh, then began shrinking a little in 2020 then a lot in 2021 & 2022.

I’m inclined to think that the formula now in use to calculate Baseline rates is designed by SDG&E to ensure that most ratepayers will exceed Baseline and slip over into the higher rates during the coldest and the hottest months. I look forward to being transferred to the Community Choice Aggregation system in May (City of SD). I may not pay much less but at least the CCA will purchase far more renewable energy AND I’ll no longer be paying SDG&E for the electricity even though I will still be paying them for transmission and various other charges.

Babs Schmidt February 4, 2022 at 10:54 am

Oct. 2021 $94.08
Nov. 2021 $129.95
Dec. 2021 $184.89
Jan. 2022 $ 236.26
WTH? I live alone, hardly cook, run my dishwasher after 9pm, and hardly use my gas wall heater! I guess we’re paying for the lawsuit that SDG&E lost when they were held responsible.

Babs Schmidt February 4, 2022 at 12:24 pm

Has anyone heard of San Diego Community Power? Imperial Beach has already started in Feb. 2022 and San Diego is set for May of 2022.
I can’t wait to change & get out from under SDG&E