SAN DIEGO, CA. Local TV news announced today that a teacher from Helix High School had been arrested on allegations of sex with a student. Gary Wilcox was arrested at his Spring Valley residence Sunday, May 18th, for charges that he had unlawful sexual intercourse with a young female student. The big deal was that this was the third teacher accused of sex with a student in two years at Helix High School. In addition, the article stated:
Jessica Ashley Kahal, 22, a former music teacher and band director at Helix High, was accused in October 2007 of having sex with a 17-year-old student. In April 2007, a judge sentenced former teacher Frank Palumbo, 27, to five years probation Friday for having unlawful sex with a student.
This got me to thinking and remembering: it seems that there have more local teachers than that who have been accused/ arrested/ convicted for having sex with minor students at high schools. I did some internet research and it turns out my foggy memory was correct.
In fact, 8 teachers have been accused of having sex with students in local San Diego high schools over the last 3 years! This is a much bigger deal than 3 teachers at one school in 2 years. (Okay, these “teachers” also include coaches and music and band leaders – well, they’re really teachers, right?) What is it? the weather? the water? Here’s the rest of the breakdown:
- John Holler was sentenced in April of 2007 for having sex with one of his 17-year-old female English students at West Hills High School in Santee. Holler, who won the prestigious Golden Apple teaching award last year, was arrested Nov. 9, following an investigation by the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department.
- In late May 2007, Carlos Hernandez, a former part-time music teacher at Sweetwater High School was sentenced for having sex with a student.
- On July 25, 2006, Danielle Walls, a former Clairemont High School history teacher, pleaded guilty to having sex two years previous with a male student in her 10th-grade history class.
- In early September 2007, a former San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts teacher, John Kyujoon Lee, who carried on a two-year sexual relationship with a student, beginning when she was 16, was sentenced to 16 months in state prison. [Go here for more.]
- 26-year-old La Jolla Country Day School basketball coach, Cesar Don Juan-Flores, was arrested in late August, 2007, on suspicion of having sexual intercourse with a 17-year-old female student, San Diego police said. He was not a teacher at the school, but did serve as an assistant coach of the boy’s basketball team. [More? here.]
- (This is not to mention, that in 2004. Oscar Rodriguez Jr., a former teacher who admitted having sex with a 16-year-old student in the band room at La Jolla High School was sentenced to 180 days in a work furlough facility.)
There have been more, but not within this time-period of 3 years. The point of all this is not to make light of this trend that we’ve noticed over the last decade of teachers having sex with students and how it has impacted us locally. The point is often local mainstream media will not notice the larger reality. 8 teachers in local schools over the last 3 years vs. 3 teachers in one school in 2 years.