The 34th Annual Ocean Beach Street Fair & Chili Cook-off Festival begins today – Saturday, June 22nd. The Fair offers eclectic fun in the sun that’s great for all ages. Join more than 70,000 visitors throughout the day for tasty festival nosh, art, beachfront entertainment, shopping and more.
The chili competition will feature more than two dozen tastings from amateur entrants competing for the titles of Hottest Chili, Judges’ Award and grand prize People’s Choice Award. Attendees of all ages can take part in creating the annual Street Fair mural or playing outdoor laser tag.
Festival highlights include:
- Five outdoor stages plus one indoor stage of continuous live music
- Artists’ Alley – applications received after May 29, 2013 will be added to the waitlist.
- Community Mural Art Project
- Wonderland Children’s Area
- Chili Cook-Off
- Beachside Beer Garden & Spirits
- Food vendors and local restaurant fare
- Unique handcrafted merchandise: clothing, accessories and more
- Climb It Wall
- Raffle with prizes from more than 20 local businesses
- Celebration of Wonderland Amusement Park’s 100th Anniversary
- Jaylin Brown will kick off the Street Fair with the National Anthem at the Main Stage
There will also be free trolley service to the O.B. Street Fair from Robb Field and Sea World Driver from 9:30 AM to 9:00 PM and running every half hour on the half hour.
The stages at the street fair
Indoor stage of the OB Playhouse
- Noon: Unidentified Fusion Orangement
the 92107 OB Stage has a focus on Ocean Beach artists
- 10:00 am acoustic trio Black Bottom Pie
- 1:30pm the New Orleans-inspired blues rock of the Lady Luck Review
The Sparkling Ice Stage – Americana and Alternative rock
- 1:30 pm The Country Rockin’ Rebels
- 4:30pm retro rocker Chris Leyva
The Wonderland Stage acoustic and hip-hop oriented
- 3:30pm hip-hop locals Destructo Bunny
- s5 pm soul jazz hybrid The Krass Brothers
- 5:15 p.m Grateful Dead tribute group The Electric Waste Band at. and
- 6:45pm Todo Mundo
The Artist’s Alley Stage -blues and jazz
- 6pm Cajun and Zydeco favorites, Billy Lee and the Swamp Critters
OB Street Fair with Kids Fun Zone
The Wonderland II – Kids’ Fun Zone will be located in Ocean Beach Park, which is between Santa Monica and Saratoga Ave, just off of Abbott St in Ocean Beach. The Kids Fun Zone will begin at 10:00 AM and go until approximately 7:00 PM on Saturday, June 22nd, 2013.
Some of the activities at the Wonderland II Kids’ Fun Zone are planned to include the new Mechanical Shark (like a mechanical bull — but it’s a Great White Shark!), Surfing Simulator, 27-Foot Cliff Hanger Slide, Dual Lane Giant Slide, challenging 70? Obstacle Course, Bungee Run, Military Bounce House with Slide, Velcro Wall with Sticky Suits, Speed Pitch with Radar Speed Tracking, and for little toddlers, the Animal Kingdom Jungle Playland.
According to Greg Knight, owner and operator of San Diego Kids Party Rentals, his company will be pre-selling All-Day and 1-Hour access passes on-line at a 20% savings, priced at $20 and $12, respectively.