A number of area restaurants in Ocean Beach, Point Loma and Shelter Island have recently won awards from the California Restaurant Association. The Golden Medallion Awards were handed out by the San Diego County Chapter of the CRA at its 29th annual awards banquet held on June 4th at the Town & Country Resort.
These are supposedly San Diego’s “most prestigious restaurant honors”, as the industry association peer-to-peer awards those “worthy and exceptional restaurants” in the San Diego area. As PR of the event states:
- Fred Glick, from Phil’s BBQ won Restaurateur of the Year and Best BBQ; of course there is a Phil’s BBQ in the Midway area, but the original is up in Hillcrest. Glick won “for his skills as a restaurant operator and his dedication to the CRA San Diego County Chapter.”
- Best Modern American Fine Dining : Ocean Beach’ s Bo Beau Kitchen & Bar shared this award with Bertrand at Mr A’s
- Best Pacific Rim: the Bali Hai on Shelter Island walked away with this award, seemingly named just for it;
- Best Seafood Casual: Shelter Island’s original The Brigantine shares it with The Fish Market
- Best Casual Italian: Old Venice and The Venetian – Point Loma’s two renowned Italian restaurants monopolized this category.
For the other categories and their winners, go here.