Women from all over San Diego County will rally in front of the US Federal Courthouse in San Diego on Thursday, March 8th, to support women’s rights to contraception on International Women’s Day. The rally will be held from noon to 1pm, and the Courthouse is located at 940 Front Street, in downtown San Diego.
The rally will address a number of recent attacks on a woman’s right to contraception and family planning:
- US Rep. Darrell Issa convenes a hearing about contraception with 5 men on the panel, and no women.
- Presidential Candidate Rick Santorum touts the “dangers” of contraceptives and that sex is “only for purposes of procreation.”
- Foster Friess, main donor to a super PAC for Rick Santorum, suggests women use aspirin as a contraception method.
- Rush Limbaugh, on a national radio show, calls a young woman a slut and prostitute because she speaks out in favor of birth control.
- Blunt Amendment narrowly fails in the Senate which would have overridden the Obama Administration’s new contraception coverage rule and allowed any employer to refuse to cover any kind of health care service by citing “moral reasons.”
Entertainment: International comedian Diane Jean (heard 8-10 p.m. Thursdays onwww.my1079.com) and the Occupella Chorus of Women Occupy San Diego.
International Women’s Day has been observed since the early 1900s on March 8. Every year, thousands of events are held throughout the world, including political rallies, business conferences, government activities and networking events aimed at inspiring and connecting women.
The San Diego event is co-sponsored by Women Occupy San Diego and Planned Parenthood.
Editor: Women Occupy San Diego also sponsor the Occupella Chorus. Here’s a little something about them:
The Occupella Chorus
There’s a new all volunteer female chorus in town with more gigs than they can handle. The “Occupella Chorus” sings familiar tunes, but rewords the lyrics to convey the message of social and economic injustice. A sample is “Occupy Your Mind” sung to tune of “Do Re Mi:” “Occupy your mind today. Learn what’s really going on. Me – an individual, Against a corporation.”
The women of varying ages are daughters, wives, mothers and grandmas who are all members of Women Occupy San Diego. They’ve entertained audiences outside the Civic Center, San Diego Rep and AMSD concerts. The group will be singing in support of women’s rights downtown on March 8 and against nuclear power outside the San Onofre Power Plant on March 11. If you’re planning a protest rally — you better book these ladies while they’re free and available.
Contact: Anita Simons (firstname.lastname@example.org)