8 AM until dark: The San Diego Veterans For Peace, Chapter #91, will be honoring the fallen soldiers/sailors/airmen from Southern California killed to date in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars by the installation of our “Arlington West” Memorial on the lawn of the USS Midway Museum near the intersection of Harbor Drive and Broadway. Newly produced markers, similar to those found in Arlington National Cemetery, will honor those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, whose home of record was in San Diego County, Imperial County, Orange County and Los Angeles County, approximately 250 to date.
WHERE: USS Midway Museum lawn area, 910 N. Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92102. The press and public are invited to help veterans set up the memorial beginning at 8 AM and remove it at dark.
WHY: San Diego Veterans For Peace, the local chapter of a national 501-C-3 veterans educational organization, regularly honors fallen veterans and victims of war, while educating the public as to the overall cost of war.
CONTACT: Gil Field, Director of Communications, San Diego Veterans For Peace, 858-342-1964
That’s not all:
- Free meals for Veterans at many restaurants:
- Applebees on Balboa Ave., Chili’s on Sports Arena Blvd, Outback a Camino Del Rio., TGI Friday’s in the Gaslamp and Olive Garden on Sports Arena Blvd.
- Go to the Military Wallet for a list of other participating restaurants.
- 11:11 AM — San Diego Veteran’s Day Parade –> Flier
- 10 am – meet at civic center
- 10:30 – march leaves to grape street
- 11 am – march with vets and honor their service
- 3 pm – rally at civic center for global occupy day
- 5 pm – occupy march and solidarity sleepover afterward
- 9:00 AM – 2:15 PM — VETERAN’S DAY – EDUCATION & CAREER FAIR – San Diego Concourse (Civic Center Plaza). (FREE)
- Expected attendance…2,000. This event is open to all veterans and the general public. Employers and entrepreneurs with opportunities to share will all be in attendance, ready to take applications, discuss options, and provide advice. The event is outdoors on the Concourse with approximately 30 education and business table tops. Limited food vendors will be in attendance and veterans can receive free food with verification of service and event participation. SPONSORS: Military Press, American Festival, Ace Parking,
- Schedule of events:
- 9:00 AM – Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem
- 9:30 AM – Speakers
- 9:30 AM – 12:00 PM Resume Clinic
- 10:00 AM History of Veteran’s Day
- 11:00 AM GI Educational Institutions and Small Business Loans
- 12:00 PM Special Presentation ~ two music artists
- 1:00 PM Hot Dog Event ~ Eating contest
- 2:00 PM Closing Remarks by Businesses and Education
- 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM: Teach in at Civic Center by Maurice Martin, Veterans For Peace: “Veteran’s Homelessness, Challenges and Solutions” — Maurice is an Army combat veteran and is on the board of Amikas, a local organization that works to transition homeless men and women to permanent housing.
Don’t forget about Veterans Day “Quilting Bee” to Support Veteran Women hosted by Amikas, a San Diego non-profit organization that helps house homeless U.S. military veteran women, will be raising crucial funds with a fundraising twist on an old-fashion idea – the quilting bee. On Veterans Day, San Diegans who care about our veteran women will have the opportunity to view and bid on antique quilts, provided by Martha Sullivan. There will also be a unique silent auction of quilt squares that will be assembled at the event into a crazy quilt to be displayed in the first Amikas home for female veterans and their children.
The event is Nov. 11, 2011 at 6:00 pm – 9:00pm at the Veterans Museum & Memorial Center, 2115 Park Boulevard (Balboa Park) San Diego, 92101.