Editor: Michael Chen of Channel 10 News ran a story on the two dogs that died recently from allegedly being fed poison in hot dogs left out for them. We had filed a post two days ago about fliers that announced a $1,000 report for info about the poisonings. Channel 10 last night reported that Deb Powell – who is a vet technician herself – is positive her dogs were fed hot dogs that had poison in them. The video report that accompanied the story implied that un-named neighbors who live in a nearby apartment complex on the 4900 block of Del Mar and who had complained about the dogs’ barking may have been responsible. We run the text to the story because of all the interest and concern around this tragedy. We hope Channel 10, Michael Chen, and our friends who don’t like the station do understand.
Channel 10 News / September 28, 2011
A distraught dog owner is searching for answers on Wednesday after her two dogs were apparently poisoned from eating hot dogs placed outside.
“I just can’t believe someone would do this,” said Deb Powell as she choked back tears. “I’m completely devastated.”
Powell calls Delilah, a 3-year-old lab mix and Ed, a 5-year-old pit bull mix her “babies.”
On Monday at about noon, she was with the dogs at the dog run behind the Ocean Beach condo units that she owns.
“Ed went straight… [to] the corner next to some cots and ate something,” said Powell.
Powell reached into the dog’s mouth but he had already eaten it. She was not sure what Ed ate, but several hours later, her neighbor screamed at her to come outside.
“Ed’s whole body was stiff and convulsing [and] foaming at the mouth,” said Powell.
Powell, who is also a vet technician, put Ed in her car and drove toward an animal emergency room.
“I didn’t even make it six blocks and he was gone,” she said.
A distraught Powell drove back home, where Delilah greeted her with a tail wag. Five minutes later, Powell said Delilah got sick.
“She just starts screaming uncontrollably and running in circles,” said Powell.
Delilah also suffered seizures and later died at the animal hospital.
“I’ve never seen anything work like that and make them die so quickly and violently,” said Powell.
Before Delilah died, her stomach was pumped.
“In her stomach, they found pieces of [a] hot dog, which I did not feed her,” said Powell.
She called whoever fed her dogs the hot dogs “monsters.”
“It was cold and calculated,” she said.
Toxicology tests on the dogs are planned. Powell’s friends and family have passed out flyers asking for information and posting a $1,000 reward. Investigators with county animal services have few clues, which include frequent shouts from the apartment complex next door directed at neighborhood dogs to “shut up.”
As Powell’s search for answers continues, so does her pain.
“I’m waiting for it to get better and it just doesn’t,” said Powell.
Anyone with any information is asked to call the San Diego County Department of Animal Services at (619) 236-2341.