With today’s announcement by the Union-Tribune of the latest San Diego area teacher to be accused of having sex with a student being arraigned in the South County Court, we turn to our archives. Now, with Carmina Erica Lopez charged with molesting and having sex with a boy who was a one-time student, we add her to our rolls of area teachers – which now add up to twelve – who have had sex with students in the last few years. Helix High School has been getting all the attention, as four of the teachers taught there. But the focus by the mainstream media on that singular fact misses an even greater issue.
The teachers include:
- Craig Kelso, a teacher at Granger Junior High School in National City, pleaded guilty on Sept. 8, 2008, to having sex with a 15 year old. [
Go herefor the original article.]
- Randy Nack, a former Escondido High School art teacher, on July 1, 2008, pleaded guilty to several counts of unlawful sex with a minor student, and other charges.
- Gary Wilcox, teacher from Helix High School, was arrested at his Spring Valley residence, May 18th, 2008.
- Jessica Ashley Kahal, 22, a former music teacher and band director at Helix High, was accused in October 2007 of having sex with a 17-year-old student.
- Jeff WenhamJ, a member of the faculty at Helix High , had been arrested but not charged yet by the District Attorney. He has denied the accusations but has resigned.
- Frank Palumbo, a former teacher, was sentenced in April 2007 to five years probation for having unlawful sex with a student.
- John Holler was sentenced in April of 2007 for having sex with one of his 17-year-old female students at West Hills High School in Santee. [
Go herefor more.]
- Carlos Hernandez, a former part-time music teacher at Sweetwater High School, in late May 2007 was sentenced for having sex with a student. [
See herefor some small details.]
- John Kyujoon Lee, in early September 2007, a former San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts teacher, who carried on a two-year sexual relationship with a student, was sentenced to 16 months in state prison. [Go here for more.]
- Cesar Don Juan-Flores, a La Jolla Country Day School basketball coach, was arrested in late August, 2007, on suspicion of having sexual intercourse with a 17-year-old female student. He was not a teacher at the school, but did serve as an assistant coach of the boy’s basketball team. [More here.]
- Danielle Walls, a former Clairemont High School history teacher, on July 25, 2006, pleaded guilty to having sex two years previous with a male student in her 10th-grade history class. [More details?