The Friends of the OB Library met on Tuesday, April 19th. The current chair – George Murphy – has reported to us that the meeting had the largest attendance that he’d ever experienced. The group was riled up because of the draconic library closures and staff cuts proposed – once again – by San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders in his latest budget presented to the City Council.
Apparently, the Friends are mobilizing to prevent these proposals and have put together the following plan of action, which they will carry out and now plead with their fellow neighbors of Ocean Beach to join them in doing:
- The Friends’ position is: NO ADDITIONAL CUTS in this year’s budget over our last year’s budget. NO LIBRARY CLOSURES. NO STAFF CUTS FROM LAST YEAR.
- individually and collectively e-mail Faulconer and the entire City Council along with Mayor Sanders our position.
- The Friends will sit in front of the OB Library collecting petitions on the following dates: Tuesday April 26 from 12:30 to 2:30 and again from 4 until 6; the same times will be staffed on Tuesday May 3. In addition, we will be at the Library on Saturday April 30 from 12 to 2:30.
- The Friends will staff a table at the next two Farmer’s Markets. We will staff a table in Mallory’s parking lot, corner of Cable and Newport from 4 to 8 p.m. The dates are: Wednesday April 27 and Wednesday May 4
- The Friends and their supporters plan to take these collected petitions to the City Council meeting on Thursday May 6 when the council will first see and discuss the upcoming budget for next year.
- Importantly, the Friends are exploring the idea of another ‘Rally!’ like Ocean Beach pulled off a couple of years ago. What do you think and will you participate?? Let us know.
- The Friends will be having their first evening meeting of the Friends on Wednesday June 15 from 6 to 7 p.m. By changing the time of the meeting, the group is trying to attract a ‘larger’ section of our community.
To get in touch with the Friends of the OB Library and Chair George Murphy: email@example.com and phone 619-224-8898.