Monday, March 28th, is the 40th anniversary of the Collier Park Riot. (See why it’s important here.) On Sunday, March 27th, the OB Rag is having a commemorative picnic at the park, located in northeast Ocean Beach at the intersection of Greene Street and Soto Street, a block north of Voltaire. It will begin at noon – and weather permitting – and will be a celebration of OB, its history, Collier Park itself, and anything else that seems appropriate.
There will be some speakers, some music, and some games at this very, informal gathering. Really, more a pot-luck than a traditional paid picnic, everyone is asked to bring something to share at this unique happening. Some chicken, some hotdogs, and potato salad will be there, we’ll have a BBQ set up – so come on down, y’all! We’ll also have OB Rag T-shirts for sale.
There is a horse-shoe pit at the park, picnic tables, and lots of green space to roam with kids and pets.
The Games Committee has not met yet, but the current suggestions include:
- Beer bottle toss – there are two categories: quart bottles half-full and three-quarters full.
- Shovel duel – (must bring your own shovel).
- Three-legged race – your buddy has just been beaten with batons, how fast can you carry him or her across the park?
- Construction stake pull – how many construction stakes can you pull up in sixty seconds without being discovered?
- Barefoot Lawn Chase – full bore race without shoes, men and women categories.
- Hide-n-seek among the Eucalyptus trees – how long can you last.
- How many (fake) joints can you put in your mouth while walking backwards?
- Call a lawyer/ raise cash: how fast can you call a lawyer and raise (fake) bail money?
If you have any suggestions, please let us know.
This should be fun, hopefully there will be sun, and you might enjoy yourself, meet old OB veterans from the Seventies, and be inspired. Come on down, from noon to 3pm. And oh, bring something to share … in the OB tradition.
If you do plan to attend, why not give us an RSVP at our email address email@example.com or simply leave a comment below.
Why Collier Park and the riot are important to Ocean Beach – go here.