Psst! Hey Ocean Beach. Quick – check this out! I just found Frank Gormlie’s papers that he tried to burn recently, and they’re entitled: “Secret Plans To Take Over the OB Town Council.” It looks like he tried to burn them in the fireplace. But I rescued enough of the documents to put together where it was all headed. And it’s not pretty.
My name is George, and I’m Frank’s brother, but we’re estranged, and he doesn’t know I got the ADMIN password for the blog, and he doesn’t know that I’m doing this, or that I even found some of the burnt documents!
I’ve managed to decipher the substance of the plans, and I outline them here:
- Frank planned to ensure his victory to the Board of the OBTC by requiring the staff of his blog, their friends, neighbors, family, etc to join the Town Council, and vote Frank in during the annual election.
- Once on the Board, my brother Frank Gormlie and his allies had a variety of tactics that they were sharpening up to use on his opponents on the Board. Key among these was the ouster via resignation of those other Board members who were not genuinely eligible to have seats on the Board. This would be accomplished by doing research and digging up dirt on those Directors;
- After he had managed to create more vacancies on the Board, Frank planned to finagle the appointment of homeless individuals to the open seats. Imagine that! Homeless on the Town Council!
- They also had plans, once the homeless people were appointed, to convert the Masonic Center into a homeless shelter. (They weren’t sure on what to do about all the mahogany furniture and thick rugs upstairs, though.)
Here are some other plans I found in these documents, Stage Two: The Enlargement of the Board
In this section of the Plans (they were really burnt up), it is clear that Frank Gormlie and his allies wanted to enlarge the number of Directors on the Board.
- He wanted to create permanent seats on the Board for Ocean Beach public servants, such as
- a seat for a Firefighter representative
- a seat for a Lifeguard representative
- a combined seat for other City services (park, street, etc)
- a seat for the Community Relations Officer of the SDPD
- a combined seat for Principal/ Teacher from OB Elementary, and the same for Corriea
- an elected seat for a local intellectual
Frank had other bold plans for the Town Council, some too disturbing to discuss. But what I can divulge are these:
- Frank wanted to grant funds to his local blog, that was a given; and he wanted to control where the rest of the Town Council monies went, and had the idea to support local groups and agencies and even churches who were serving the community, feeding homeless, doing clean-ups, doing educational work, etc.
- He also wanted to ban the Town Council from holding “Secret Meetings” and “secret votes.” He wanted to get rid of the current practice of having one secret , I mean “non-public”, meeting every month. And of course he wanted to get rid of any secret votes and do away with “private” discussions by Board members on public issues and/or on members of the public themselves;
- He also wanted to end the practice of forcing “public speakers” to fill out a questionnaire to send in 3 weeks before the meeting they wished to speak at;
- Frank wanted to abolish the restrictions on membership, and open membership up to just about anybody and everybody in Ocean Beach: residents, property owners, traditional business owners, but also mobile OB business owners, consultants, and importantly, open membership to people who work in Ocean Beach.
- And if you’re a member, you can vote and be a candidate.
- He and his allies wanted to ban speeches by representatives of politicians, but allow them to be present for questions, having handed in written reports beforehand;
There are some really drastic changes Frank Gormlie and his minions wanted to force down the beak of Ocean Beach. Check these out, I mean it, seriously:
- Frank wanted to encourage and ensure Medicinal Marijuana Dispensaries in as many locales as possible.
- They wanted to disband the Christmas – I mean Holiday – Parade, and replace it with the Heathens Halloween Parade! Disgusting! Ugh!
- And instead of a Christmas Tree at the foot of Newport? They were going to have a giant “Burning Man“, and instead of cutting down some great, live douglas fir or noble pine tree, they wanted to decorate a potted tree that would be planted somewhere local after we used it for our community Christmas tree.
- They even want to ban all vehicles on three blocks of Newport Avenue on certain days, like every Sunday, or something crazy like that.
That’s all I could collect off these numerous burnt papers.
Take heed, Ocean Beach – these plans are drastic and dangerous – may be time to batten down the hatches or lock the shutters or some other metaphor that’s appropriate. I’m so glad that the Town Council prevented this agnostic’s candidacy and almost certain election to the fine Board that represents us. Given the nature of these “Secret Plans” – our democratic institution has been saved by the vigilance of freedom loving people – our Town Council.