Here are some victories:
- The biggest news is that Prop 16 – bankrolled by PG&E – LOST! (16 would have forced two-thirds votes for any municipality that wanted to set up its own utility.)
- Prop 17 – bankrolled by Mercury Insurance also lost!
- Both County Supervisors Ron Roberts and Bill Horn have to go the run-offs in November!
- Term limits for the County Board of Supes is now law. This was a victory for the labor union (SEIU L.221) that got it on the ballot in the first place.
- None of the ultra-right-wing candidates for judges won!
And did you know that if you tally up all the votes for the Democratic Party Senate race (Barbara Boxer, etc), and compare that total with all the votes for the Republican candidates, the Dems had about 90,000 more! And it was a low-turn-out for Dems, and the GOP voters came out in droves. So, Carly, take note.
ON a side issue: if we keep getting these low turn-outs of voters, why don’t we make it easier to vote? Like hold the voting over two days, with drive-through balloting, … and other measures to encourage our citizens to vote – as they do in other countries.
Now, maybe we can all get back to “normal” for a few weeks before the General Election campaigning begins.