The most recent reader poll by the OB Rag shows very broad support for San Diego’s fire pits – 82% want to keep them. Three-quarters of those who want to keep them think the “Adopt-a-Fire-Pit” program is a good idea.
Respondents to the two and half week poll, which ran from December 15th to January 3rd, were divided in how they want the fire pits to be saved. 55% like the Adopt program for OB. 6% thought someone with “deep pockets” should be found to pay for their maintenance. Another 14% were more demanding in their approach – and voted for “I pay taxes – at least give me a fire pit,” while another 8% voted to save all of San Diego’s fire pits. 1% said ‘you use it – you clean it.’
Those who opposed saving the fire pits – 17% – were also divided: 2% said they don’t use them so they weren’t an issue for them; 6% felt they were a “nuisance” as people burnt trash in them, and another 9% believed that there were more important issues and city resources to save than the fire pits.
125 respondents voted in the poll. Several “answers” were added by readers, and therefore, were not available to early voters. 21% of those who responded checked these “answers”. (We recognize this as a problem – but we also like that readers can add their own responses. The poll is not scientific but it is an indicator of where our readers are at.)
Here’s the poll and the responses in the order that they were presented:
What do you think can be done about the fire pits that Mayor Sanders wants to remove for budgetary reasons?
1. Never use the fire pits, not an issue for me.
3—2% of all votes
2. The fire pits are a nuisance as people burn all kinds of trash and junk in them.
7—-6% of all votes
3. I think it’s a good idea to have an adopt-a-fire-pit program for OB.
69—55% of all votes
4. There’s many more important issues and public services to save than fire pits.
11—9% of all votes
5. Let’s find someone with deep pockets who can finance the fire pits for a year.
8—6% of all votes
6. I pay taxes. At least give me a fire pit… the roads in OB suck.1
18—14% of all votes
7. Save the pits…. You use it, you clean it.1
1—1% of all votes
8. I hope all 200 of the pits can be saved. They are so important to San Diego and so many people use them.1
8—-6% of all votes
Total Votes: 125 . The poll ran December 15, 2009 – January 3, 2010; ( 1 = Added by a guest)