There’s a demonstration against Blackwater being in San Diego County today. From 3pm to 5pm down at their Otay Mesa facility.
Here’s five reasons to protest their incursion into our region:
1. Blackwater is a mercenary group responsible for the massacre a year ago in Iraq. Blackwater Worldwide has a history of killing innocent civilians. In Nisour Square, Iraq , on September 16, 2007, Blackwater “security personnel” shot and killed without provocation seventeen Iraqis civilians, including a nine year old boy.
2. Blackwater has taken no responsibility for any of the killings. Erik Prince, founder of Blackwater, told Congress one month after the Nisour Square Massacre that he had no knowledge of his men hurting innocent civilians.
3. Blackwater personnel are not held accountable. It is not part of the military! It is a business that profits from bloodshed and killing. Its personnel are not accountable to military, civil, or criminal law. One year after the killings, no one at Blackwater has been charged for any of the killings of innocent civilians.
4. Blackwater was not upfront in obtaining permits for its Otay Mesa facillilty. It used subsidiary business names to apply for its building permits to avoid the normal permit process and avoid public scrutiny. Blackwater has done everything in their power to stop the right of the City Council, the City Attorney, and San Diego residents to say “no” to having Blackwater here, including suing the City of San Diego.
5. Blackwater is a company that profits from conflict. NO CONFLICT = NO PROFIT! Blackwater mercenaries along the US-Mexico border will seek to profit from border instability. Any minor difference among ethnic groups can easily be exploited by Blackwater mercenaries to intervene and make money.
The protest is being sponsored by a host of peace and activist groups: Peace Resource Center of San Diego, Activist San Diego, Citizens’ Oversight Committee, Veterans for Peace, San Diego Coalition for Peace and Justice, American Friends Service Committee – San Diego office. For more info, 619-263-9301, Spanish 619-270-5470.
Saturday, Sept. 13, 2008 3-5 p.m.
7685 Siempre Viva Rd., SD CA 92154 (Otay Mesa)
BLACKWATER HAS OPENED A NEW TRAINING FACILITY HERE
IN OTAY MESA–RIGHT NEXT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER.
Directions: 805 South to 905 East, Right Britannia, Left on to Siempre Viva. (park on the street