Maybe you’ve noticed some of these cool posters popping up in many of our local shop windows lately. I have, but if you haven’t here’s one of the neatest things going on here in OB this month. It’s the OBGlobal Silent Auction and Sock Hop and it will be happening here this November 14th at the Point Loma Masonic Center, 1711 Sunset Cliffs Blvd. 92107
This is going to be a pretty awesome event put on by OBceans that really care about our community and beyond! I should point out that this OBGlobal is a different organization than the one that put on a very cool concert here last April, but by no means are their causes any less important. On the contrary, they are a very noble group of locals, friends, neighbors and compassionate citizens who are committed to global mission projects.
Their committee is comprised of June Heinz ~ Chair, Patty Lewis, Lysa Hockbruekner, Wes Matsch, Quinn Adler, Sherry Adler, Jason Smith, Dulce Smith, Donna Crakes, Donna Sandiford, Randy Sandiford and Pam Coker. The group was created and is sponsored by the Point Loma United Methodist Church and their mission statement is genuine, simple and to the point: Locals united in world missions and, to sponsor events that raise funds for charity.
For this year’s event OBGlobal will focus on these four charities:
- UMCOR is the United Methodist Committee on Relief. This is better than FEMA as ALL monies go towards relief efforts. UMCOR are most often the first responders in and inevitably the last ones out of a natural disaster zone. They are still in New Orleans and also now in Samoa too.
- Heifer International is an organization designed to fight hunger and poverty while creating independence by providing impoverished regions the resources they are lacking and teaching individuals to both profit from their gift, and then be able to pass it on as well.
- Nothing but Nets is an international organization that provides mosquito netting to decrease the mortality rate due to Malaria.
- Loaves and Fishes is our local Ocean Beach Food Bank that provides food to needy families. The committee learned that during this economic crisis, the food bank was struggling to keep up with the volume of families in need. They felt it was very important to support their ongoing work which is so vital to our community.
Prices for couples to pre-register are only $50.00 and singles for a mere $30.00, and this will qualify you for beverages, burgers & fries from our very own Hodad’s as well as the silent auction which will include: Vintage collectible golf clubs, sports fishing trips, surf camps, skate board lessons, vacation rentals, fine dining, jewelry and antiques, gifts from the garden, handmade quilts, and more!!! If you want tickets to be part of the silent auction, want to make a donation or need more info about this event you can call OBGlobal at 619-224-2995 or you can e-mail them at email@example.com
The music will start at 6 p.m. and this line-up of bands is going to be a heck of a lot of fun! For your entertainment the running order is:
- 6:00 The OB Rhythm Ranchers, 4 OBceans and local rock & roll aficionados to boot
- 6:20 Heloise Love, North County folk artist extraordinaire!
- 6:30 The West Coast Ironworks, award winning 6 piece 60’s rock band originally hailing from Coronado
- 7:00 The ClaireMonsters, a 7 piece rock & roll party band from just east of the I-5
- 7:30 Touchy Subjects, San Diego 80’s & 90’s rock stalwarts performing their 26th anniversary show
- 8:30 The Blonde Brothers, one of the youngest and coolest bands in and from OB with a special guest appearance by Papa Joe too!
If you’re planning on going and you just wanted to be part of the scene while you hear some good fun music, it’s only $20.00 which still includes burgers, fries and beverages. You can still bid on the silent auction except that you won’t be pre-registered so you may have to wait in a line and fill out the paperwork as opposed to those who have already pre-registered. If you’re not hungry but still want to check out the bands, it’s only $10.00 sans the great food, though you can still get beverages which include sodas, water and though we haven’t heard which one for sure yet, milk shakes or malteds! Just look for the classic cars and motorcycles in the parking lot on the corner of Sunset Cliffs & Santa Cruz at the Point Loma Masonic Center.
These are great causes that you can really get behind so we really hope to see you there, and don’t forget…OB Rawcks!!! ;)