Crane works on jetty repair
Federal stimulus are being used to repair the Mission Bay channel entryway. The project, overseen by the Army Corps of Engineers, includes fixing the channel’s south jetty – OB’s north jetty, which was reportedly damaged by an El Nino winter storm ten-eleven years ago. See our earlier post on this.
City Council votes half mil for downtown library bids
The City Council voted 6-2 on Tuesday, October 27th, to allocate $500,000 to Turner Construction and a group of consultants who will solicit bids to build a new downtown library. The bids will be submitted to the City Council for the final project approval sometime in April. OB’s Councilman Kevin Faulconer, who also represents downtown, said the bidding process will give the city a more concrete estimate of what the project will cost before proceeding. See SDNN for remainder of article.
It’s time for you to order your OB Rag T-shirt
Yes, we’ve already sold one-third of our new all-black T-shirts. With $20 and a few bucks for postage, you can have yours mailed to you. Either pay via Paypal on our sidebar or send check to our PO Box 7012, OB 92167.
OB gets ready for Christmas holidays
We know, it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, but you should know the following if you and your family want to know OB’s holiday schedule:
Term limits for County Supervisors looks like it will be on June ballot
Voters may get to decide in June whether term limits should be imposed on San Diego County supervisors, a group of elected officials that has had no turnover since 1995. Union leaders who launched a petition drive in the summer say they have collected more than 117,000 signatures in three months.
At least 77,837 qualified signatures – 10 percent of the local votes cast for governor in 2006 – must be validated by the Registrar of Voters Office to qualify the measure for the next statewide election. See the remainder here.
Annual OBMA Awards Celebration says ‘Thank you!’
Over 170 people turned out for the Ocean Beach MainStreet Association’s Annual Awards Night Celebration Thursday, October 22nd at the Masonic Hall. Lots of awards and lots of good food and drink, donated by 18 area restaurants. This was the event where the OB Rag was awarded a Community Partner plaque.
A bunch of mainstream politicos showed up as well: Mayor Jerry Sanders, State Senator Chris Kehoe, City Councilman Kevin Faulconer and County Supervisor Greg Cox.
Here is a list of the award winners:
- Winston’s for bringing a laugh to OB with the OB Comedy Night.
- David Linton for his support of and involvement with the Ocean Beach community through his artwork.
- Pizza Port, Welcome Aboard and thanks for their generous support of Ocean Beach events.
- Gallagher’s for outstanding marketing efforts.
- ARCHITECTS hanna gabriel wells for Excellent re-use of an existing building and for providing OB with an outstanding Interior and Exterior Remodel
- Sunset Cliffs Animal Hospital for Most remarkable interior and exterior remodel and positive contribution to the community.
- Point Loma Landscaping, for their volunteer efforts to keep Ocean Beach looking good
- Janis Ambrosiani, for enormous volunteer efforts in designing and producing the 2009 OB Street Fair Mural.
- Suzy Lambert, of Crystal Visions, 2009 Business Award for marketing efforts to organize and promote the Santa Monica Ave. merchants.
- Craig Gerwig, of Newport Ave. Antique Center, 2009 Community Partner award for volunteer efforts on behalf of the OBMA and the community.
- OB Rag, 2009 Community Partner award for outstanding coverage of the 30th Annual Street Fair and Chili Cook-off Festival.
- Capt. Vasquez ofSan Diego Police Department was recognized for his ongoing commitment to Ocean Beach
- Officer Surwilo for his ongoing commitment to Ocean Beach and work with the OB Crime Prevention committee.
- Point Loma Masonic for generous community partnership with the OBMA.
- OB Town Council for ongoing involvement and support of the 30th Annual Street Fair and Chili Cook-off Festival.
- Shades Oceanfront Bistro for generous support of the 30th Annual Street Fair and Chili Cook-off Festival by providing committee chili.
- Union Bank received a Community Partner award for their support of and involvement with the Ocean Beach community.
- Chuck Schiele, of StudiOB, designed and produced OB’s FIRST-EVER compilation CD, WAVES: The Sound of Ocean Beach.
- Joshua Utley, of Intrepid Network, dedicated and donated countless hours in redesigning the OBMA’s Web site
- Yvonne Cruz was honored because she chaired the OB Street Fair and Chili Cook-off for so long that no one can remember how long.