Two weeks ago, we asked our readers to join in on our OB Rag Readers Choice Nominations for “Best” and “Worst” of Public Infrastructure in Ocean Beach. It was a chance for OBceans to weigh in on their favorite or not-so-favorite element of our public landscape here in the Village of OB.
We asked readers to give opinions on everything from the best neighborhood park to the worst intersection – and they did. Some gave their view of the overall “best” and “worst” of OB, which we include at the end.
So, here they are, the “Best” and “Worst” of OB’s public infrastructure:
Benches – public (not bus benches)
Best: OB Library, Santa Monica and Sunset Cliffs Blvd.
Installed in memory of Byrna Bicknell and Bryan Collier, and in honor of George Murphy and the Ocean Beach Town Council. It has a great origin story.
Runner-up: skate deck bench that sits outside OB Surf and Skate
Worst: (although technically outside the category, we had to include this:) “any bus stop featuring Catrina Russell with a mustache.”
Best: Tie – between (1) middle of Newport between Bacon & Cable and (2) Santa Monica Avenue, between OB Elementary main campus and kindergarten annex
Worst: Tie – between (1) Voltaire and Cable. Chaos and (2) No Crosswalk at Newport and Abbot.
Best : Abbot & Long Branch (closest to some readers)
(1) Santa Monica and Sunset Cliffs because of the giant pothole that you have to drive around.
(2) Sunset Cliffs and Niagara
(3) Voltaire and Ebers
(4) Sunset Cliffs and Orchard Ave.
Best: Santa Monica but needs help;
Even though murals in Ocean Beach are mostly on private property, they are still part of the visual public infrastructure and thus worthy of our considerations.
(1) the wave behind Hodad’s.
Worst: Ocean Beach (Saratoga) park.
(1) OB Gateway park
(2) The loss of Voltaire Park own by World Oil
Best: Tie between (1) NewBreak on Abbott and (2) Hungry Lu’s Kip’s artwork
(One reader had a point, “best public encroachment” is an “oxymoron”.)
Worst: The Joint
Restrooms – public
No one made any nominations in this category.
Sunset Cliffs Pocket Park
Surveillance camera – public
There were no nominations for “best” surveillance cameras.
Worst: Cameras on Police Shack in OB Pier parking lot
Worst: Tie between (1) any Brazilian Pepper Tree (invasive) and (2) neglect of California live oaks in Robb Field.
Utility Box – painted
2nd Best Place to Smoke Weed and Watch Sunset
Over-all “Best” and “Worst” of Ocean Beach
(1) Editordude quotes worked into the north beach Brighton Ave bathroom walls.
(2) the cliffs from the pier on south to the Navy fence and beyond
(3) OB Pier, hands down!
(4) Sunset Cliffs Park
(5) Dog Beach
(6) pleasant beach climate, laid back mentality
(1) Every McMansion along the 5100 block of W. Pt. Loma
(2) the gentrification and crowding of our beloved hamlet
(3) the restrooms and the cameras
(4) Plans at the beach with the veteran’s memorial, the adult workout stations, and the new playground.
(5) crowded parking, tourists, dog poop everywhere